Respected Contributor

How to Make Slime (without Borax)

Well, my daughter's last day of school was yesterday and she's already bored.  Her camp and some other things haven't started  yet.  She wants to make slime but I don't want to make it using borax.  I Googled it but the ones I found that don't use borax got very bad reviews.  So, if there are any Mom's out there that have done this with good results.  Please let me know.  TIA!

Honored Contributor

Re: How to Make Slime (without Borax)

[ Edited ]

When my daughter was young we made it with Borax.

I've been seeing the commercial from Elmers Glue to use baking soda and contact lens solution.

It didn't look the same as what I remember, not as thick.

Esteemed Contributor

I know that you can make slime with Elmer's glue.

You can go to their website for the recipe.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't have kids of any kind; but have seen the warnings in TV news - and wondered.................can't you buy slime at a toy store (already made)?  If so, how expensive can it be and why make it and take unnecessary risks?  It reminds of putty or other kid's clay type items. 

Respected Contributor

My daughter loves making slime.  We use borax. But you dilute it with water and it only uses a tiny amount of borax. If you handle the diluting for her, then it should be safe.  Borax is only toxic in its undiluted form and in large amounts.

Here is from a news article.

"Dr. Jason Hack, a toxicologist from Rhode Island Hospital, also has a daughter who's into making slime. "It's a great activity," he told WPRI 12 Eyewitness News. And he echoed Dr. Stoloff's arguement that the small amount of Borax the kids are using is not absorbed through the skin. "It would take eating a lot of it to actually become toxic," he explained."

Honored Contributor

1 bottle of elmers glue clear or white
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup sta flo (liquid starch)

Respected Contributor

Use the Borax!  It's harmless.  Unless you're allergic. If you're concerned use latex gloves.

Honored Contributor

I've seen more than one story on our local news about kids burning their hands when they make the stuff.  So, that is not something my kids would do, if I had young kids.  I assume you can buy the stuff ready made....that's what I would do.  

Occasional Contributor

Something like that happened to me as well

I had also created slime for my daughter without borax. And it was not only very quick but also long-lasting slime. I had taken the help of this article for making stretchy slime without borax

Hope it will be helpful to you.

Thanks