Respected Contributor

Re: How do you sign your cards to your child and their spouse?

@panda1234 @BirkiLady   awww.  My grandmothers name was Viola and I always loved it.  Sometimes we could call her Vi..    but mostly grandma.  I have never known someone else with that name.  It’s a lot of great memories.  

Esteemed Contributor

I sign Love, Nana & Papa. Those are the names my oldest grandchild gave us 25 years ago and we are known that way by children, grandchildren, and in-laws. It makes life easy.

Respected Contributor

My nieces husband has always called my sister and BIL by their first names - ever since they were dating.   When they have kids I'm sure that may change to grandma and grandpa.  

Respected Contributor

Mom and Dad.  Keep it simple.

Trusted Contributor

I do not understand people these days who cannot call their in-laws Mom and Dad. I think it is disrespectful to call them by their first name.  I called my in-laws Mom and Dad before I even married my husband.    My sister-in-law for the few few years she was married to my brother called my parents Mr. and Mrs. -----.  In- laws are a second set of parents and I was glad to have them and call them Mom and Dad.

Esteemed Contributor

If it is a bd card to my SIL I sign it with our names.  If it is a card for both of them I sign it mom and dad.  He calls us by our names but I think it would seem weird/offensive to him if I signed a card to both of them mom/myname. 

Honored Contributor

@Jinlei wrote:

I do not understand people these days who cannot call their in-laws Mom and Dad. I think it is disrespectful to call them by their first name.  I called my in-laws Mom and Dad before I even married my husband.    My sister-in-law for the few few years she was married to my brother called my parents Mr. and Mrs. -----.  In- laws are a second set of parents and I was glad to have them and call them Mom and Dad.

You are fortunate your in-laws are a second set of parents to you. Mine are not. I call my MIL by her first name.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jinlei wrote:

I think that if I had in-laws, it would make me feel weird to call someone else "Mom" & "Dad", because I already had one set of parents, and sorry, but my in-laws aren't them. I would feel that I was "betraying" my parents by calling someone else "Mom" & "Dad". What about my respect for my parents?

Also, sometimes it's the in-laws themselves who insist on being called by their first names.

Every family is different, and just because someone doesn't call their in-law "Mom" & "Dad", doesn't mean they are being disrespectful.

It's great that you were calling your in-laws that from the first day that you met, but not everybody, every family is like that, and just because they are different, doesn't mean that the respect isn't there.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Jinlei wrote:

@Jinlei   These days? My first in laws fifty years ago were not called Mom and Dad. Neither were my second set of in laws forty years ago. First names all around as did my husbands call my parents. No disrespect in the families at all. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Jinlei wrote:

I think that if I had in-laws, it would make me feel weird to call someone else "Mom" & "Dad", because I already had one set of parents, and sorry, but my in-laws aren't them. I would feel that I was "betraying" my parents by calling someone else "Mom" & "Dad". What about my respect for my parents?

Also, sometimes it's the in-laws themselves who insist on being called by their first names.

Every family is different, and just because someone doesn't call their in-law "Mom" & "Dad", doesn't mean they are being disrespectful.

It's great that you were calling your in-laws that from the first day that you met, but not everybody, every family is like that, and just because they are different, doesn't mean that the respect isn't there.

Exactly!  And it's not just "these days".  My own history with this goes back to the 70's!

The first time I got engaged, his parents were very loving, sweet people.  They told me to call them by their first names, and I did.  I certainly respected them, in fact quite a lot.   (I broke off the engagement, and losing out on having them as in-laws was the hardest part.)

My second fiance (and eventual husband) had a mother who was difficult and overly-critical.  She told me that I could call her Mom or call her by her first name, and I opted to use her first name.  She had no problem with it - Her other DIL called her by her first name too.  Calling her Mom felt unnatural and forced to me because she really wasn't my mother in any sense of the word.   And my mother - who I had always been close to - most definitely was. 

My MIL was British, very old-school with manners and proper etiquette and all of that, but the first-name thing was suggested by her, and was never an issue.  And I was able to have my Mom as my only "Mom", which in my heart was the way it should be.

My own DIL is extremely close to her mother.  I know that in her eyes, her mother is the only one she wants to call Mom.  So I sign cards to her with my first name.

It's all good.  There has been no lack of respect in any of these relationships.  And the truth is that calling someone "Mom" is no guarantee that there is respect.  Doing what works best for everyone, while treating each other kindly, is what matters most.