Honored Contributor

Re: How do you sign your cards to your child and their spouse?

When it is a card or gift to both my son and DDIL I just sign Mom.  When it is only to her I tried 13 years ago at the beginning of their marriage signing Mom.  But soon noticed she addressed me verbally and in writing by my first name.  So I just sign her cards with a "B".  Which is what I do on all notes and cards to people I really care for.  If they are not as close to my heart I use my full first name. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

She was marrying into your family; it was up to you to sit with her and discuss what she felt comfortable calling you.  Mom was an option but your name or nickname was an option to.  What does she say if she has to address you  "hey you!".  I have two sons inlaw; one calls us Mum and Dad and the other uses our first names.  We let them decide what they were going to call us sometime after they announced their engagements.  We do sign cards "Mum and Dad" to both couples.  There's no confusion since the guys don't call their own parents "Mum and Dad".    

Honored Contributor

I use both their first names.

Honored Contributor

I am not a mother but a step mother...I sign cards Love Dad and insert my name.....

Honored Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

My daughter in law does not really call me by name or mom like some do. I am sending them an anniversary card and not sure how to sign it, I know how stupid. My parents always signed our cards mom and dad and under that their names. Just wondering how everyone else does it.

@panda1234   When it's an anniversary card, holiday card or joint gift card, I sign "Love, Mom and Dad". That's who we are to my son even though my DIL refers to me as Shanus. 

Esteemed Contributor

I call my son by his nickname and to my DIL I say, "from mom", because that was her choice early on in their relationship. In the delivery things were confusing, so she decided to have a mom#1 and mom#2. I was honored when I was chosen as mom#1 She and I are very close, but it was REALLY awkward. To this day, her mother sometimes gives me the cold shoulder, and as a mother, I can understand her feelings.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Respected Contributor

I would not sign it as Mom/ Mary (just made up a name as I don't know your first name).

My MIL did that to us when she gave us a card for our wedding. That really hurt me pretty deeply and created the scenerio for many of the years we were married before she passed away.     It was my second marriage and I was older so calling her Mom just didn't seem right.    I always called her by her first name but to see the separation just told me she never saw me as a member of the family.  Her behavior throughout the time she was alive also gave credence to that fact.   

A simple signing of a card as just Mom is certainly sufficient and shows respect for your DIL.   

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I am not a mother but a step mother...I sign cards Love Dad and insert my name.....

Ditto.

Esteemed Contributor

My future DiL & I are extremely close.She calls me mom & I love it.When I give her a card I sign it love mom & dad. It feels very natural.

Valued Contributor

My daughter in laws cal me by my first name. So thats the way I sign my cards.