Honored Contributor

Re: How do you sign your cards to your child and their spouse?

[ Edited ]

I had a nickname by which my friends called me and my DILs addressed me by that name, so I made it a habit to sign by that name until the grandchildren came along and, of course, all the DILs mothers' had first dibs as to what they wished to be called.  I took what we had called my grandmother and used that as my name (it is very special and no other of the grandmothers could/would have chosen it). So, I use my special grandmother name for all cards and signage.  My DH got the name of Poppa by his least favorite granddaughter but he liked it, so I sign it XXXX (the chosen ethnic name I use) and Poppa.

Respected Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@panda1234 wrote:

My daughter in law does not really call me by name or mom like some do. I am sending them an anniversary card and not sure how to sign it, I know how stupid. My parents always signed our cards mom and dad and under that their names. Just wondering how everyone else does it.

What does she call you?

@mom2four0418  Before they were married she called me by my first name and that was just a couple of times. She has not had to call me anything since they were married. We only see them 2 times a month as they are out of state.

Respected Contributor

This may sound weird but my DIL has never called me Mom or by my first name, she just starts talking.  I'm not sure why my SIL uses my first name.  When I sign a couple's card I sign it Mom when I send her card I use my first name.

Respected Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

This may sound weird but my DIL has never called me Mom or by my first name, she just starts talking.  I'm not sure why my SIL uses my first name.  When I sign a couple's card I sign it Mom when I send her card I use my first name.

@Winkk  Same here, she just starts talking.

Regular Contributor

We’ve always signed it Love, Mom and Dad. My husband always referred to my parents as Mom and Dad so we just continued on with our own.

Esteemed Contributor

@panda1234  If a card or note is addressed to both of them (i.e. an anniversary card or holiday card), I sign it "Love, Mom". If it's a birthday card for my DIL, I sign it "Love, Viola (or whatever)" since she calls me by my name. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@panda1234  If a card or note is addressed to both of them (i.e. an anniversary card or holiday card), I sign it "Love, Mom". If it's a birthday card for my DIL, I sign it "Love, Viola (or whatever)" since she calls me by my name. 

@BirkiLady   You caught me off guard. My mom's name was Viola and seeing it in your post took me by surprise, not a common name. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@panda1234  Was trying to use an unusual name so went to the end of the alphabet. Was going to use Zale. but decided against that since it's also a males name. Didn't dream it would be a family name . . . especially your mom's. I'm so sorry.

BTW: Both of those names are favorites of mine!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@panda1234  Was trying to use an unusual name so went to the end of the alphabet. Was going to use Zale. but decided against that since it's also a males name. Didn't dream it would be a family name . . . especially your mom's. I'm so sorry.

BTW: Both of those names are favorites of mine!

@BirkiLady  Please don't be sorry, you are fine. It is an unusual name and I was taken back when I saw it.

Honored Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@Winkk wrote:

@Winkk  Same here, she just starts talking.

That's what I do.  I make sure my m-i-l is looking at me.