Respected Contributor

Re: How do you feel about your son/daughter in law calling you mom?

I would consider it a compliment. Calling you mom means they feel close to you. What's not to like about that? 

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, I could never call my MIL by an affectionate name.  She was too aloof.  My DILs and SIL do not call me "mom" but have a cute, sweet name for me and the grandchildren now call me that as well.  

Honored Contributor

My son is not married, but I would be honored to have his wife call me mom if he were married. My MIL did not want me to call her mom so I didn't and my husband didn't call my mother mom.

Honored Contributor

My dil calls me by my first name.I am ok with whatever works for her.She is a lovely person and I am just enjoying having her in the family.

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

As long as it isn’t a bad word, they can call me anything. 

I was just going to say the same.

They can call me anything they want as long as its nice.

My father said when I was little he called me by my name and I said I wasn't (my name),

"I Sweetie Pie!" lol!

That would do. That's actually what I call my grandkids a lot of times.

I called my mother-in-law "Mom".

She became one of my best friends.

My mother I call a different name then "mom"

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I think it is so far down on the list of things to do to get along with your child's spouse that it shouldn't even be counted as something to think about.  If the relationship is good, it shouldn't matter. 

Respected Contributor

I have always called my MIL Mom she has since passed away and when I had a Father In Law I called him Dad. My future SIL calls us Mom and Pops. We love it!!  To us it is just means he loves us and wants to be a part of our family.

Super Contributor

My brother's wife called my parents and her parents "Mommy and Daddy". It was confusing because we never knew who she was talking about.  When my father died it was very difficult for me to hear her call her father "Daddy". 

Esteemed Contributor

@Kitlynn wrote:

I have always called my MIL Mom she has since passed away and when I had a Father In Law I called him Dad. My future SIL calls us Mom and Pops. We love it!!  To us it is just means he loves us and wants to be a part of our family.

With my first marriage my husband called my parents Mom and Pop as did my brother-in-law.  I called his mother Mom, she was Mom to everyone.  His father was deceased so there was nothing to worry about there.   My daughter is divorced and her ex called me by first name which was fine.  I didn't like him from the first day I met him and I would not have wanted him to call me Mom. Woman Happy

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Super Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

I feel that is only for my children to call me that. However, I would never say they couldn't do it. 

My daughter, got married this past April, & my SIL calls me mom & sometimes in a conversation he'll call me by my name.. I'm ok with that..

For Mother's Day he gave me a beautiful card & wrote touching words inside.. He said he was so happy to be in our family, etc..

On the day of the wedding, his mother had told him. " she's your mother too & you call her mom".. We are very lucky; his mother calls my daughter, her daughter ..

My SIL told me later; the day he brought my daughter to meet his parents, she told her son, this is the daughter I never had..

I hope and pray all will be well for them, just like all us parents wish for their children..