Contributor

Re: How do you feel about your son/daughter in law calling you mom?

I think you should be honored and thankful!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Love it!  Better than the Old Battle Ax

Smiley Very Happy 

Esteemed Contributor

Only my son is married. My daughter in law has called me mom in the past, and it makes me feel wonderful. I figure she must like me a bunch to call me that.

But, I don't call my inlaws mom or dad. It doesn't feel natural to me.

And my dh doesn't call my folks mom and dad either.
I guess its just what folks are comfortable with.

Respected Contributor

Because I detested the idea of calling my MIL any form of Mother, I made it clear from day #1, our DIL should call me by my first name.  She did that until the the Grands arrived.  After that, it has (almost) always been Gran.

Honored Contributor

DH and l called our respective in-laws "Mom" and "Dad." However, one generation later, our children and their spouses call the in-laws by their first names. It's just a personal preference, and has nothing to do with the closeness of the relationships.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

Same here!
Honored Contributor

I don't have children, but I can speak for myself as a DIL.  I don't call my in-laws mom and dad.  Never have...never will.  I call them by their first name.  My husband always addressed my mama by her first name (my daddy had already passed away when my husband & I met).  It's obviously a personal choice.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

I have no kids, but I have always called MIL Mom, as did my DH to my Mom while she was alive.  It is out of respect to both Mom and my husband.  We were taught not to call an older person by their first name.  

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

@redwingsgal wrote:

I have no kids, but I have always called MIL Mom, as did my DH to my Mom while she was alive.  It is out of respect to both Mom and my husband.  We were taught not to call an older person by their first name.  

@redwingsgal  we have done the same thing.  I LOVE my in-laws, so it was very easy. 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Valued Contributor

Would love it!