Respected Contributor

How do you feel about your son/daughter in law calling you mom?

I feel that is only for my children to call me that. However, I would never say they couldn't do it. 

Respected Contributor

Re: How do you feel about your son/daughter in law calling you mom?

[ Edited ]

My kids are too young to be married, but I welcome it. They may not want to call me mom though.

i wasn’t even engaged an hour when my MIL pulled me aside and basically said - “don’t call me mom”. Given her stand off attitude, I would never in a million years 

efited to add that I don’t think I would be hurt if my kids called their in laws mom and dad. I find it endearing 

Honored Contributor

@panda1234 My DIL has always called me by my first name and I'm fine with that. We agreed to it. She's very close to her mom and I don't think she was comfortable calling anyone else mom. It's worked great for us for 25 years!

I think it's an individual thing. I never called my MIL mom, always by her first name. I didn't even like calling my own so-called mother "mom"!

Respected Contributor

Two call me mom, the third one by my name. Either way is fine.

I prefer my kids to call me mom also, but one son calls me gramma and I keep telling him, I’m your mom!  Just my thirteen grands can call me gramma 😉

Respected Contributor

I have no problem with that. Around the Grandchildren it's GrandMama. 

Respected Contributor

My sil calls me by first name, fine with me. My dil calls me Mrs. ——- after 10 years and numerous requests to not call me that. She was born in India, came to US at 12, is now in her mid thirties.

I’ve accepted it, what else can I do? Otherwise friction is created and my dear son would suffer.

Honored Contributor

As long as it isn’t a bad word, they can call me anything. 

Esteemed Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

As long as it isn’t a bad word, they can call me anything. 

You and I are thinking alike!  I don't have any daughter/son in-laws, but when I do I'll just be happy if they want to call me.  So many of my friends don't have good relationships with their in-laws, and I hope that never happens to our family.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My SIL calls me mom.  My DIL calls me Grandma.

it does not bother me either way.

I do think it is lovely when your DIL or SIL calls you mom.  We should all be one family.  I consider it an honor to be called mom by my SIL.

I almost forgot to mention that my kid's friends always called me mom when they were growing up.

My daughter's best friend is in a convent and she refers to me as mom and my DH as dad.  She was at our home a lot when they were teens.

Honored Contributor

When your children marry, their spouse becomes your child as well.

All mine call me mom, I love it

No need to be formal, we're family