Respected Contributor

How Does Your Son's Girlfriend or Your Daughters Boyfriend Address You?

When you first met them? Such as Mr/Mrs (last name) or by your first name?

My girlfriend met her son's girlfriend for the first time at Christmas and she  addressed them by their first name. My girlfriend thinks this in inappropriate and should  of been addressed as Mr/Mrs. The girlfriend gave them a Christmas card and it said Merry Christmas using their first names.(the parents)                                                                    

What do you think? Is his girlfriend being disrespectful? The son is 42 and the girl is 37 so these people are not teenagers. 

Honored Contributor

Re: How Does Your Son's Girlfriend or Your Daughters Boyfriend Address You?

If the "girlfriend/boyfriend" is a MATURE ADULT, it should be fine to use "first names".

Unless, YOU address the new person as Miss/Ms/Mr (_____), of course.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I have no memory on how my daughter-in-laws addressed me when I met them. But we are all on first name basis now.

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

I don't have children old enough to have a significant other yet, but I think first names are okay based on the age of your friend's son and his girlfriend.  They aren't children or teenagers.  They are full-blown adults.

When I was younger, I always addressed my boyfriend's parents as Mr. or Mrs., but I am now in my 40's.  I don't think it would even cross my mind to address them as anything other than their first names.  However, if I was introduced to them as Mr. or Mrs. by my boyfriend, I would absolutely follow through on that.  I guess it depends on how your friend's son introduced them to one another too. 

Honored Contributor

j was taught as a child to address adults as Mr./Mrs.  If meeting a potential mother/father-in-law, it would be appropriate to not to call them by their first names even though the girl is 37 (unless in-laws request that you use their first names)   I think this is a reflection of how you were raised and, for me, is a sign of respect.  For my family, just good manners.

Respected Contributor

@cuddlesmama Or they don't address you as anything.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't have kids but I do not want to be called Mrs by anyone. I just don't like it, never have. I have a first name and anyone who called me Mrs obviously does not know me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In the olden days it was imperative to use Mr. or Mrs.. Not sure about today. It is just good manners to use Mr. or Mrs.

Those ages remind me of the ado about the gifts......hmmmmm.

Honored Contributor

Good grief, NO, I do not consider it inappropriate to for BFs and GFs to call you by your first name.  I have kids the same age and would expect their friends to use my first name.

Contributor

That seems very stuffy and controlling to me.  To be upset that your 42 year old son's girlfriend addressed you by your first name?!?  Seems to me they are trying to find reasons not to like her.   I would only be upset if my sons 37 year old girlfriend DIDN'T call me by my first name.