Super Contributor

Help....the basic essentials for a newborn baby girl

I have never had children.

Long story short, my 20 yo great niece was awarded temporary custody of her newborn sister 3 days ago. She weighed 5 lb 9 oz. at birth and is almost 1 week old. I'm thinking diapers, baby wipes, onezees (sp).

This was unexpected, but my young niece does have a good job (just beginning her career) and a home that is paid for. I'm not close by them; she is getting help from my sister while she goes to work, but I wanted to send her an amazon order.

What is a good brand diaper I can order from amazon and what size should I order? What else could I add on? I'm just interested in the most needed basics at this time. Maybe for a month or so till things get straightened out.

Thanks so much in advance. Heart

Still Tabbycat ~~ Less is More ~~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Help....the basic essentials for a newborn baby girl

i provided disposable diapers when my grandchildren were born....LUVS brand....daughter and DIL were very happy with them.....

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Onsies for sure!  Pampers or Huggies.  Baby Wipes.  Receiving Blankets.  All of these will be used and appreciated.  How kind of you to send a care package.  Heart  

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Respected Contributor

The one thing I have learned is that the baby will decide on the brand of the diaper!   It is amazing how their delicate skin does better with one particular brand than another.  You may want to send smaller packs of different brands so if baby's bottom gets irritated she has options.

Onesies

Burp cloths

Assorted brands of wet wipes

wash clothes and tolietries

nightlight

Baby care book

dreft laundry detergent

Respected Contributor

mememe is right....

one kind of Diaper does not work for all.  smaller packages of several brands is a great idea!

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Honored Contributor

A few basics: Huggies newborn diapers and size 1, unscented baby wipes, bottles, wash cloths, bath towel, baby bath.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tabbycat  How about an Amazon gift card?  That will help take care of all those emergencies and things you didn't know you need!  

What a sweet thing to do for them!  Stay in contact that your love and care will mean the world to them!!!

Respected Contributor

I used Pampers when my daughter was born.  Onesies are a great idea, I would get different sizes though.  You'd be surprised how quickly they grow out of newborn size.  A bottle warmer (loved the one I had/don't remember the brand).  How about bathing items?  Washclothes, baby bath products (soap, lotion, etc.) and the little tub?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tabbycat

Our grands wear Pampers diapers. All I know is that the pictures of Elmo or Cookie Monster go in the front!

Bottles for formula are now quite fancy-schmancy! 

Dr. Brown’s bottles are vented. My usual job was to always clean all of the bottles and parts.  We have two DGCs (girl and boy) and we have just in the last year stopped bottles.

DD liked the all-cotton natural receiving blankets from Toys R Us. Also, American Baby Company makes EXCEPTIONAL baby things.

The swaddling baby wraps with Velcro saved us because the first was not ever ready to sleep. HTH

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

I recently shopped for a neighbor's daughter's newborn. The best answer for me was to shop online at Macy's because they have specific category(ies) you may be seeking: essentials, newborn, etc. And, they have great sales.