Super Contributor

Re: Help! Should I quit my job?

It won't get better, as others here have said. I would try and find a new job before quitting. If you really can't look for a new job while you are working this job, then yes, you need to leave.

Please don't feel like a failure or like you have done anything wrong, this just wasn't a good fit for you. These things happen.

Super Contributor

I would definitely, no ifs ands or buts, leave your job. There is no amount of money that can compensate for your mental health. None. I've been there. but I wouldn't just quit without having something else lined up. Start your job search now. In the meantime "kiss up" to your boss. Stroke her ego. Make her think her ideas are great. Offer to help her. Even if she insults you or belittles you. Just smile and disregard it. You're just playing a game now confident in the knowledge that you will be leaving. Sometimes that in and of itself can help you through the days. Then be on your way.

Occasional Contributor

No job is worth the toll it takes on your health when the situation is that bad. As long as it would not put your family into poverty-leave.

Esteemed Contributor

nm

Contributor

I Know exactly what you are going through, I went thru it myself 7 months ago. I was manager of a hardware store but my boss (the owner) took all the credit, always saying if it wasn't for him this wouldn't get done, that wouldn't get done. He was very rarely there - I worked open to close 7 days a week, got a poor salary (even the men on the floor got better pay than myself), but I needed the job as my husband was not working and we live in a depressed community so it was almost impossible to find another job. I LOVED my job, but it did take a toll on me and in May, 2013, I suffered a stroke - at work.....I lost my left vision and was stupid enough to go back to work when I was released from the hospital. And eventually, was right back in the same situation. In June, 2014, I just couldn't take all the blame anymore - when I sent someone home for rudeness to customers - my boss would b ring them right back....I lost all respect from the staff - they knew if they got fired, he would bring them back. I was called rotten names and still nothing was done about it. So I QUIT....Walked out...... Should have filed disability when I had the stroke but didn't so now am awaiting on SS Disability. We are scrimping and making ends meet ok.....Don't let this happen to you....

Respected Contributor

When job searching, remember that the boss you interview with may not be there in the future. Even worse, there can be a personality change as he/ she goes through crises. Had this happen to me as a boss began an affair with one of my newly hired programmers. He alienated all my staff and tried to ruin my career: advised him his insinuations would be laughed off the floor and I wasn't going to tolerate this behavior. Thank goodness I had a strong reputation for getting results and grooming my staff to succeed.
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

If I were you, I'd immediately start actively pursuing a new job and planning an exit route. If the situation is as bad as you say and you can afford it, you may even consider giving notice now and looking for another job after you leave. Nothing -- and I mean NOTHING -- justifies staying in a toxic, stress-inducing, soul-killing work environment. The paycheck is never worth the toll on your health, family, and happiness. Time to pack up your things and move towards the exit door.

Esteemed Contributor

Not a long-term solution, but one thing I found to help was to remind myself that I was there each day due to MY deliberate decision to be there. All the bad things were true but just for today I was going to earn my pay. It will make you calm and more detached while you plan your next move. It removes the angst.

Esteemed Contributor

I know it's a scary thing to quit your job without having another one waiting in the wings but, life is too short to put up with an unhappy situation day after day. I would definitely quit if I were you. I too hated my job but I was laid off last year and I decided not to go back to work. I hated every single day, the commute and the people weren't all that great there either. The work was boring, I was micromanage to death and just dreaded the thought of going in every single day. I would cry on Sunday nights just dreading having to go in on Monday. I don't have kids but I do have cats and I do enjoy staying home with them and just doing stuff around the house. I actually save money by not working. I don't have to buy make up, I don't have to pack lunches, gas is dramatically less, fewer clothes to buy, etc. Whatever your decision please be happy.
Honored Contributor

FOR SURE- start doing EVERYTHING that you can RIGHT NOW to prepare for your next wonderful job opportunity. An online or home study course, ANYTHING that will move you ahead in your pursuit of a position that deserves you and will be grateful to have you working for them. Whatever you do to prepare for your NEXT job will help you to maintain your balance while you get through the current situation. It's always good in a situation like yours to have something to go TO before you walk away vrom what you're leaving.