Honored Contributor

Re: Help! Should I quit my job?

On 1/19/2015 judgejudith said:

Find another job first, then quit. Always easier to get a job when you already have a job!

ITA

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

Yes! Quit your job, no job is worth your health! You have a husband who can support you, it will all work out!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Respected Contributor

Have you done the math (despite Mom's free care)? You're missing out on the baby and you're both working night shift, alternately, so when do you spend time as a family? Quality of life is important. Marriages are made and broken by attention vs tiredness and feeling stressed and overworked.

I realize jobs pay squat these days and no one is keeping up with inflation, but it does help to be rational and do the budget math. Quality of life doesn't have a price tag on it today but it does have a price tag later on, and it's much bigger, huge in fact.

Honored Contributor

The economy IS improving...if you were able to get this job, I'm sure you can get a better one!

NO job is worth ruining your health and/or making you feel anxious and miserable when you are at work.

I put up with a miserable boss for two years - it turned out he had been hired with the directive to get rid of everyone in the office - all 12 salespeople (we all had great pensions, 401Ks and other benefits). The plan was to have him bully and demean us into quitting, so they could reduce costs and get the company ready to sell. The harder we worked, the nastier he got!!!! They didn't want to fire us - the company unemployment insurance would go up.

I was the first one to finally throw in the towel - I started my own freelance business. In 6 months, 10 or the 12 of us had left - everyone ended up doing better and making more money. The sale is in a few months, and he was just let go - his mission had been accomplished.

I think women are programmed to try and make the best of bad situations - to try and make everything "better." Men are more willing to move on if they feel they aren't being treated well.

Look into all your options...and best wishes!!!

Valued Contributor

I would find a new job first. I have had many female bosses and have found many are not secure in their position and can be as nasty and hateful,,It is a shame that women treat each other like this. But the need for money to provide is so essential that I know Many stay in deeming positions/jobs because thr stresss can affect you the wrong way too!
Contributor

If you can live comfortably on a lower salary, then find another job without worrying about the money and work up again. Don't let money make you stay in a stressful job.

I saw your comment about being on a contract. That saves you from explaining why you left, because you don't want to tell your next employer it was stressful or bad manager because they might misunderstand and think you'd leave when the going gets tough. So in your case, you just say the contract ended and do not mention that it could have been renewed.

Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

I would leave. Your physical and mental health is not for sale.
Super Contributor

I would leave, staying there will after a while affects your health. Your health is much more important than any job. I have been there I have done that and I have stayed, Bad Idea.
Honored Contributor

She's in a BETTER position now - with a promotion and higher pay - to land an even better job - with less stress.

It's not her fault - she needs to think more like a man and promote herself....her next job may be even better.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/19/2015 becca914 said:

If you can live comfortably on a lower salary, then find another job without worrying about the money and work up again. Don't let money make you stay in a stressful job.

I saw your comment about being on a contract. That saves you from explaining why you left, because you don't want to tell your next employer it was stressful or bad manager because they might misunderstand and think you'd leave when the going gets tough. So in your case, you just say the contract ended and do not mention that it could have been renewed.

Good luck!

if you have a contract, this company will not renew. This is a way the organization saves money by keeping employees on staff for a short time.