Esteemed Contributor

Re: HELP WITH POSTPARTUM DEPRESSION

Certainly go to OBGYN first and therapy may be needed. So many young working families are exhausted, I feel badly for them. As a MIL -- try not to editorialize or judge. Give as little advice as possible. Leave that to professionals. And be careful saying things about your DIL to son. Sometimes when couples argue -- they use other people's words.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I just don't know what to tell her if she does.

You should know!  Tell her to see her doctor.  Better yet, tell your son since your dil did not confide in you.  I am assuming your son is filling you in?

Yes he told me about it.  Go to OB/gyn or someone else?  How do they determine if that is what it really is?  That is my main question.

Either doctor is fine but she needs see one NOW.  Her OB or doctor will know how to identify it.   I had really bad post-partum after one child.  It can be dangerous for her and her family.  

Respected Contributor

Yes, see a doctor Asap. If it is post partum depression she will need some help. After having my son 20 years ago I suffered with PPD. My husband took me to a Doctor asap. Took medicine and enjoyed my son. It scared me so bad. I was just too overwhelmed.
Valued Contributor

Our daughter has been going through this. She had it after her first, but seemed to work it out. Well she had her 2nd little one in September and was really suffering. She got to a support group 3 days a week for 3 hours each session. She is taking a mild anti-depressant (not sure which one). She says shes like a different person. It's been a game changer. I think her therapy group is done, but she continues on her anti-depressant. It's real. Please have her get help....

Frequent Contributor

Dealt with this myself, especially with my first child.  Talk to your son asap and urge him to go with her to see or call the OB/GYN.   Also, be sure that she has some help with the baby on her days off to be able to take care of her needs too.  In today's world working Mother's are pulled to the max!!!

She should not suffer as there is help for her.  I would not suggest trying to analyze the situtation or figure it out as what she needs is support, help and most importantly unconditional love.  

Hope she feels better soon.