Esteemed Contributor

Re: HELP WITH POSTPARTUM DEPRESSION

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I just don't know what to tell her if she does.

You should know!  Tell her to see her doctor.  Better yet, tell your son since your dil did not confide in you.  I am assuming your son is filling you in?

Yes he told me about it.  Go to OB/gyn or someone else?  How do they determine if that is what it really is?  That is my main question.

@Puppy Lips

She should talk to her OB/GYN first and they can check her hormone levels for any imbalance first.

If not, they can refer her to a counselor. I'm sure they deal with this issue a lot and will be able to guide her.

@KingstonsMom Thank you - this was the answer I was looking for.  I did not know that they would check hormone levels -- that there was a specific "test" and not just saying you are sad.  So even if her hormone levels are okay, she can still talk to someone.  Thanks again.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips"She has mentioned more than once that she would like to be a stay at home mom"

I could be wrong (not a doctor), that does not sound like your dil is suffering from postpartum depression.  One of the symptons is difficulty bonding with the baby.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@AbbyK wrote:

Please help her with this.  30+ years ago I suffered from this twice.  It was horrible- crying, not eating, finding no joy in my babies, not sleeping.  I was a wreck, but since doctors/midwives weren’t cognizant of the condition as they are now, it was made even worse seeking treatment.  Finally, I saw a psychiatrist who prescribed meds, which eventually brought me out of my black hole.  You just feel so alone.  Then like an idiot, 3 years later, I had another baby, and the whole nightmare began again.

took me a long time to be the fun mom!

I'm still bitter about the whole ordeal.  

Gosh sorry you had to go through this.  My DIL is not that bad.  Remember when Brooke Shields had this condition -- and Tom Cruise condemned her for seeking treatment?  He is such an idiot.  Glad you got through it and had two wonderful kids.  It would be a shame for this condition to stop women from having more than one child, if they want more that is.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

She should speak with her doctor about it, it could PPD.  PPD is common.  It's also possible that she's depressed because she can't live the life she wants to live, life as a sahm.  She might need some therapy for that.  Some women think they want to be working mothers but that all changes once the baby comes.  Part of it is hormonal and part of it is the reality that we don't know what motherhood means to us until they place that baby in our arms.  The only advice you can give her is to speak with her doctor about her feelings and if necessary, see a therapist.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Puppy Lips"She has mentioned more than once that she would like to be a stay at home mom"

I could be wrong (not a doctor), that does not sound like your dil is suffering from postpartum depression.  One of the symptons is difficulty bonding with the baby.

Okay, if that is the case, then this may not be postpartum depression.  I think she has bonded quite well.  Thank you for your imput.

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

Okay, if that is the case, then this may not be postpartum depression.  I think she has bonded quite well.  Thank you for your imput.

@Puppy Lips

I'm not disagreeing with @Mz iMac, but many with postpartum depression will try to disguise their true feelings because they feel inadequate or like a 'bad' Mom.

She really, really needs to have her hormone balance checked and then her Dr. can determine if she needs to see a therapist.

Too often postpartum depression goes undiagnosed until a tragedy happens.

If it is just a hormonal imbalance it can be easily corrected, before a tragedy occurs.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

I suffered from Postpartum Depression...Please somehow she needs to get help.  If nothing else talk to your son.  Get after him...Make sure He gets her help NOW!!!.  Their entire family will benefit. 

And regarding with bonding with baby...sorry but I don't think that will tell you yes or no if a woman has postpartum depression.  And please never listen to Tom Cruise.  total nut case!!!!!!

I got the help I needed.  Saw a therapist and was put on medication.  A lifesaver.  I had 2 daughters 18 months apart and worked full time.  One thing that really helped..in addition to the therapy and medication... a husband that was very understanding and helpfull

Honored Contributor

@ruthbe wrote:

I suffered from Postpartum Depression...Please somehow she needs to get help.  If nothing else talk to your son.  Get after him...Make sure He gets her help NOW!!!.  Their entire family will benefit. 

And regarding with bonding with baby...sorry but I don't think that will tell you yes or no if a woman has postpartum depression.  And please never listen to Tom Cruise.  total nut case!!!!!!

I got the help I needed.  Saw a therapist and was put on medication.  A lifesaver.  I had 2 daughters 18 months apart and worked full time.  One thing that really helped..in addition to the therapy and medication... a husband that was very understanding and helpfull

@ruthbe

I SO admire your post about your first hand experience with this, it's so valuable to others!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

It sounds to me that your DIL is very overwhelmed.  Women nowadays have a lot to balance, and babies are the #1 priority in the household.  With the cost of living so high, many families need two incomes. I hope you can have a talk with your son about doing extra-duty around the house.  Who does the shopping, cooking, cleaning, and laundry, etc.?  Everything changes when baby arrives.  And new moms are always tired.

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

No it isn't always the case.  Like everything in medicine, the symptoms vary patient to patient.  I had a friend who suffered with post partum depression serverely, she had to be hospitalized but bonding with her babies was not a problem.  She manifested in other ways.