Esteemed Contributor

HELP WITH POSTPARTUM DEPRESSION

How do you know if you really have this?  My daughter in law has not been happy lately and mentioned to her husband (my son) that she thinks she may have this.  Their adorable baby girl is now 5 months old.  My DIL started a different teaching job in August and I know she is not thrilled with it.  So I don't know if it is the job, or she doesn't like the job because she is depressed, or what is going on.  She has mentioned more than once that she would like to be a stay at home mom -- well that is out of the question as they can not afford for her to stay home.  She has not talked to me about this, and I will stay out of it unless she brings it up.  I just don't know what to tell her if she does.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

Re: HELP WITH POSTPARTUM DEPRESSION

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I just don't know what to tell her if she does.

You should know!  Tell her to see her doctor.  Better yet, tell your son since your dil did not confide in you.  I am assuming your son is filling you in?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

She needs the help of a counselor.  Earlier the better.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with @Mz iMac.  She should see her doctor but you shouldn't tell her unless you an a very close and caring relationship. Even then, you should tread lightly. LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

You should know!  Tell her to see her doctor.  Better yet, tell your son since your dil did not confide in you.  I am assuming your son is filling you in?

Yes he told me about it.  Go to OB/gyn or someone else?  How do they determine if that is what it really is?  That is my main question.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

Your DIL needs to mention this to her medical doctor.   She should not suffer with this hormonal imbalance, when it can be easily fixed.   

Esteemed Contributor

@Puppy Lips  If she wants to be a SAHM, they should arrange their finances so she can do so. If they have a home with a hefty mortgage, sell it and buy something much cheaper....it can be done.....if she is paying daycare they're probably not breaking even anyway.

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

Yes he told me about it.  Go to OB/gyn or someone else?  How do they determine if that is what it really is?  That is my main question.

@Puppy Lips

She should talk to her OB/GYN first and they can check her hormone levels for any imbalance first.

If not, they can refer her to a counselor. I'm sure they deal with this issue a lot and will be able to guide her.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Your DIL may be exhausted.  She has a lot to deal with.  

I also worked when I had a baby and it was the hardest thing I ever had to do.  

Contributor

Please help her with this.  30+ years ago I suffered from this twice.  It was horrible- crying, not eating, finding no joy in my babies, not sleeping.  I was a wreck, but since doctors/midwives weren’t cognizant of the condition as they are now, it was made even worse seeking treatment.  Finally, I saw a psychiatrist who prescribed meds, which eventually brought me out of my black hole.  You just feel so alone.  Then like an idiot, 3 years later, I had another baby, and the whole nightmare began again.

took me a long time to be the fun mom!

I'm still bitter about the whole ordeal.