Trusted Contributor

Re: HELP!!! 5 year old and bad behavior

Where is (are) the father(s) in all this?

Super Contributor

Yes, allergies can affect behavior a lot! One of my sons took an OTC allergy medicine for hayfever for a week when he was 9...Allegra I think. His behavior totally changed and we figured out it was the medicine. I mentioned it to another mom and she gasped, saying the same thing happened to her daughter who became aggressive and hard to handle all of a sudden. She thought she was the only one. This can happen with many meds.

A chiropractor could possibly help.

Be careful of additives in food too. MSG, colorings, even just too much sugar affect behavior.

Lastly, if the child has hit her head hard at some point, there can be factors that affect behavior. My son had a bad concussion and is still recovering. He was a happy, easy going kid for 16 years, but now angers easily because of where he hit his head. We also figured out on our own (neurologists don’t tell you) to get his eyes checked by a vision therapist with cognitive experience. Poor kid had vision damage and it was making it hard to read, concentrate and made his head hurt. He is doing vision therapy.

Best of luck to her.
Honored Contributor

Given the info provided, i still say it's a parenting issue....that's been proven to be the case 95% of the time.  Once the parent and doctor have ruled out medical issues, it's time the parent got serious about keeping the child on a schedule, developing non-violent discipline techniques, giving the child adequate positive/fun attention, recognizing the child has feelings/needs and meeting them, involving the child in home chores suitable to age, etc etc.