Honored Contributor

Re: HAS ANYBODY GONE TO THE PRINCIPAL?

@scraphappy wrote:

Once she called me to the school to discuss how some of her scores were (not good), then, for some reason, she just starts telling me how my daughter saw her daughters AG Doll.  Teacher went on to say that she's bringing her daughter to the AG Cafe and that then my daughter went on to tell her how many dolls she has and that her Grandma gets her whatever she wants (which isn't true...but close).  She is my mom's only grandchild.  I was taken back by it but after I left I thought to myself....what did that have to do with my purpose of being there?  I felt like she was telling me my daughter is spoiled.  Another time she told me Kaylee was having trouble working in small group, didn't want to do it.  She viewed it as my daughter not following directions.  I told her I know exactly why, it's because she's having a hard time with the subject matter (common core) and she doesn't want to put herself out there and make mistakes in front of new people.  I took that opportunity to also set things straight about the doll conversation.  Telling her my daughter does not get whatever she wants and knows a value of a dollar, etc. 

Sneak Peek Day (day before first day of school):  Introduced myself and daughter.  Especially since she was brand new to that school.  Had a whole bunch of supplies to take to school next day for class and self.  Way too much to carry on her own.  I asked if I can accompany her to help carry everything.  I could tell she pretty much didn't like the idea.  But I didn't it anyway.  Not just because it was too much to carry on her own, but also it was her first day of school in a new school.  We get to the classroom and she says, "you decided to come anyway."  WHAT?!?!?

The biggest complaint I have is how the subject matter (Math, Social Studies, and Science) is given.  First of all, she doesn't give homework.  Doesn't believe it. Every child has a large binder and what she does is in the beginning of each new subject, she fills it with papers, what she calls enhancements.  Work on your own, at home at your own pace.  However these papers are eventually collected and used at the end of the year to help prepare for milestone testing.  But these papers, these "enhancements" are never checked.  So why are they given out at the end of the year?  If they're done wrong, which we'll never know because they're not checked, then they are studying incorrect information.

Before Christmas break last year, she changed around all the dates for tests/quizzes.  So, the last four days of school she had about 4 tests, 2 quizzes and a project due.  Which, for my daughter, she had to re-do the project because the teacher didn't like the initial idea that she can up for (it was an invention project).  Mind you, her tutor helped her come up with the idea.  But what also bothered me was the instructions on the handout.  It was about 5 pages long.  It did say to do things step by step but approval for your idea wasn't until about the 3rd page when most of the work was already done.  I had said this to the teacher, that if there is a possibly that you may not approve of an idea, why not make that step one?  She never gave an answer to that.  Instead she made this reply in an email, ""I'm afraid Kaylee is misinterpretting what I say in class and showing the class in a bad light."

She sends out emails called "weekly blasts" explaining to parents what's going on in school and class.  Usually includes dates for tests and quizzes.  One time she kept sending an email about a couple of tests and quizzes but the dates were always different.  I emailed her several times asking for clarification, it took over a week to get a response. 

And to continue about emails...I sent her one last Wednesday asking if she will be sending out any more weekly blasts because I haven't received one since 4/24.  In that last weekly blast that she sent, it specifically said she would be sending out the last of the dates for tests and quizzes since the school year is winding down.  I haven't received any email about any dates or what they're working on in class.  Both of my daughters tutors ask me what to work on because I always forward them those emails so they know what's going on.  In the email I sent the teacher, I asked "since the school year is winding down, will there will any further weekly blasts" and that it would be nice to know because her tutors are asking.  As of today, 5/9, no weekly blast and no response to my email.  There has been a couple of other emails (perhaps 2 or 3) throughtout the school year she just never responded to.

Couple of months ago, I drove my daughter to school and ran into her in the parking lot.  She said "Good Morning" but let me tell  you the look I got.  I'm not a stupid person.  I know the "look."

I haven't said anything to the principal because I know how things work.  I know she would defend this teacher and/or have reasons for everything.  I didn't want to make things worse for my daughter.  This was my problem, not hers. 

The last sentence says it all.  This seems to be more of a parent/teacher issue than a student/teacher issue.

There is what, about a month left to the school year, let it go.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have 3 close family members who are teachers. They say it's not the 24 kids, it's the 48 parents. And if it is the kid, the apple didn't fall far from the tree

Honored Contributor

It appears that you forgot to tell us what "it" is...lol

Honored Contributor

@scraphappy wrote:

Once she called me to the school to discuss how some of her scores were (not good), then, for some reason, she just starts telling me how my daughter saw her daughters AG Doll.  Teacher went on to say that she's bringing her daughter to the AG Cafe and that then my daughter went on to tell her how many dolls she has and that her Grandma gets her whatever she wants (which isn't true...but close).  She is my mom's only grandchild.  I was taken back by it but after I left I thought to myself....what did that have to do with my purpose of being there?  I felt like she was telling me my daughter is spoiled.  Another time she told me Kaylee was having trouble working in small group, didn't want to do it.  She viewed it as my daughter not following directions.  I told her I know exactly why, it's because she's having a hard time with the subject matter (common core) and she doesn't want to put herself out there and make mistakes in front of new people.  I took that opportunity to also set things straight about the doll conversation.  Telling her my daughter does not get whatever she wants and knows a value of a dollar, etc. 

Sneak Peek Day (day before first day of school):  Introduced myself and daughter.  Especially since she was brand new to that school.  Had a whole bunch of supplies to take to school next day for class and self.  Way too much to carry on her own.  I asked if I can accompany her to help carry everything.  I could tell she pretty much didn't like the idea.  But I didn't it anyway.  Not just because it was too much to carry on her own, but also it was her first day of school in a new school.  We get to the classroom and she says, "you decided to come anyway."  WHAT?!?!?

The biggest complaint I have is how the subject matter (Math, Social Studies, and Science) is given.  First of all, she doesn't give homework.  Doesn't believe it. Every child has a large binder and what she does is in the beginning of each new subject, she fills it with papers, what she calls enhancements.  Work on your own, at home at your own pace.  However these papers are eventually collected and used at the end of the year to help prepare for milestone testing.  But these papers, these "enhancements" are never checked.  So why are they given out at the end of the year?  If they're done wrong, which we'll never know because they're not checked, then they are studying incorrect information.

Before Christmas break last year, she changed around all the dates for tests/quizzes.  So, the last four days of school she had about 4 tests, 2 quizzes and a project due.  Which, for my daughter, she had to re-do the project because the teacher didn't like the initial idea that she can up for (it was an invention project).  Mind you, her tutor helped her come up with the idea.  But what also bothered me was the instructions on the handout.  It was about 5 pages long.  It did say to do things step by step but approval for your idea wasn't until about the 3rd page when most of the work was already done.  I had said this to the teacher, that if there is a possibly that you may not approve of an idea, why not make that step one?  She never gave an answer to that.  Instead she made this reply in an email, ""I'm afraid Kaylee is misinterpretting what I say in class and showing the class in a bad light."

She sends out emails called "weekly blasts" explaining to parents what's going on in school and class.  Usually includes dates for tests and quizzes.  One time she kept sending an email about a couple of tests and quizzes but the dates were always different.  I emailed her several times asking for clarification, it took over a week to get a response. 

And to continue about emails...I sent her one last Wednesday asking if she will be sending out any more weekly blasts because I haven't received one since 4/24.  In that last weekly blast that she sent, it specifically said she would be sending out the last of the dates for tests and quizzes since the school year is winding down.  I haven't received any email about any dates or what they're working on in class.  Both of my daughters tutors ask me what to work on because I always forward them those emails so they know what's going on.  In the email I sent the teacher, I asked "since the school year is winding down, will there will any further weekly blasts" and that it would be nice to know because her tutors are asking.  As of today, 5/9, no weekly blast and no response to my email.  There has been a couple of other emails (perhaps 2 or 3) throughtout the school year she just never responded to.

Couple of months ago, I drove my daughter to school and ran into her in the parking lot.  She said "Good Morning" but let me tell  you the look I got.  I'm not a stupid person.  I know the "look."

I haven't said anything to the principal because I know how things work.  I know she would defend this teacher and/or have reasons for everything.  I didn't want to make things worse for my daughter.  This was my problem, not hers. 

Too long, I only read enough to get the gist of it.  You resented the doll thing and I thing you read something into that exchange that really wasn't there.  After that, you didn't like the woman and found fault with everything.  Things that would normally have been no big deal because a huge deal for you.  Let it go.  The year is almost over, your child is moving on to a new teacher and the this will all seem petty to a principal...because it is petty and silly.   There are people in life who we just don't like and sometimes there is no real reason for it.  It's a human thing but as adults, we have to step back and assess these situations and see them for what they are. 

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@scraphappy wrote:

Too long, I only read enough to get the gist of it.  You resented the doll thing and I thing you read something into that exchange that really wasn't there.  After that, you didn't like the woman and found fault with everything.  Things that would normally have been no big deal because a huge deal for you.  Let it go.  The year is almost over, your child is moving on to a new teacher and the this will all seem petty to a principal...because it is petty and silly.   There are people in life who we just don't like and sometimes there is no real reason for it.  It's a human thing but as adults, we have to step back and assess these situations and see them for what they are. 

I agree.  The OP seems to be very easily offended.  I don't see that this teacher has done anything awful, and that's based on the OP's own version of events.  I imagine that the teacher has a different perspective, but I'm already on her side.  :-)

Being angry about the doll conversation is ridiculous.  I also don't understand the angst over Sneak Peek Day.  And on and on.  The OP needs to stop assuming that she knows what other people are thinking and she needs to stop being so defensive.  Micro-managing the way a teacher teaches and being so easily offended by casual comments is not good for anyone, most of all her daughter.

I have gone to my children's principal - and once to the superintendent.  But I would never even think of doing that for any of the reasons that the OP has given.  She would do well to step back in the future.  It would be a huge favor to her daughter.

Honored Contributor

Yes I did, several times, but the situations warranted those visits, and the outcomes were good.  

The first time involved the teachers behavior; older teacher with 50+ years of service, short temper, and she retired at the end of that school year.  

Second time I disagreed with the principals decision to discipline my daughter for defending herself against a bully, but the bully was not disciplined.  The incident happened in late busroom after school and a teacher witnessed my daughters actions.   I insisted the principal contact the bus driver to get the full story of what had been happening on the bus.   Our bus driver supported what my daughter said, and therefore she was not suspended.   I made it clear I was not going to allow my daughter to be punished.

The last time I went to the principal was over a fundraiser, that she had specifically chosen.   Many parents protested, and an affordable alternative was found.   

Honored Contributor

I have; a few times. I only resort to contacting the Principal when I know it's a serious situation that warrants the Principal being involved. Usually the teacher is the only person one needs to contact if there are issues but if it's very serious and/or the teacher is part of the problem....the Principal is the one I speak with.

No regrets.