Esteemed Contributor

Granddaughter likes playing with make-up....removing it suggestions

My granddaughter likes playing with make-up. I got her eveshadow and lipgloss from the Dollar store. What can I use to remove it? Sometimes soap and water doesn't do the job.....

Honored Contributor

Re: Granddaughter likes playing with make-up....removing it suggestions

Make-up remover wipes or baby wipes.

I'm sure I'll get piled on but if it goes on me or in me it's not coming from the dollar store.

Honored Contributor

No, I don't think you'll get piled on.

@Nataliesgramma~

Anything from the dollar store and made in China I wouldn't use on me much less my granddaughter, especially using on her eyes and lips. 

Things we think are safe because they are sold in a store, are many times not.

Re

member the children's jewelry recall made in China sold in Walmart that had lead in it?

That is just one example.

We really have to be careful with the things they allow in the food we eat and makeup, shampoo, cookware,pet food esp made in China!

I'm sure it was a nice thought and you wanted her to enjoy herself but now that you know you can find some others that are safer. Flower cosmetics by Drew Barrymore are made in the US, inexpensive and made with safe ingredients.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@Nataliesgramma, I don't want to rain on your parade but I wouldn't let her use Dollar Store make up either.  There are all kinds of stories out there about lead in cheap make up, etc.

Why not give some good quality make up that you don't use anymore or a shade of lipstick that doesn't work for you. Etc.  I am sure between you and your daughters there is some around.  Just to be on the safe side, just sayin.  LM

Honored Contributor

Unfortunally the FDA does not regulate make-up or any other forms of cosmetics.  Companies are free to use what they wish and they do not have to report all of the ingredients they use.

The cost of the product has no bearing of how "good" it is for you.

Make up can be removed with cold cream, mineral oil or just plain old olive oil, which would be my first choice.

Trusted Contributor

@Nataliesgramma Campanelli FreshFace wipes will do the job.  You can get one in this great kit A284209 that comes with lots of other goodies for you, and one of the fresh face cloths, or a set of 5 in A340743.  They wipe even mascara and eyeliner off gently with warm water.  It is an amazing product and I can't stop raving abut it.  

No more chemicals or rubbing my eyes with makeup remover soaked cotton balls.

Regular Contributor

You are a  wonderful grandmother. I have twin granddaughters who are ten. So, I appreciate your devotion to your little darling. The comments others have posted here about product safety are wise and useful. I have always let my granddaughters use my eye shadows that I no longer use. They are from my makeup purchases on QVC so they are reliable brands. Your granddaughter will always treasure the time she spends with you. Enjoy her and all the exciting things you get to do with each other. You and your Granddaughter are Blessings in each other's lives.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh woow....never knew there would be bad stuff in the Dollar store make-up....in the trash it went....

I will look in my stash and give her items I no longer use...

Thanks everyone! Better safe than sorry...

Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Make-up remover wipes or baby wipes.

I'm sure I'll get piled on but if it goes on me or in me it's not coming from the dollar store.

That was going to be my suggestion! I would save the ends of "good" products for her to play with! If you don't have any, it can't be too prohibitive to purchase a small set of cosmetics without harmful ingredients! Wipes were also going to be my idea for easy removal!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just today on TV there was a segment in The Doctors regarding the chemicals in makeup and beauty products.  You might want to watch the segment with the woman doctor? Trevor Cates.  Interesting topic, and I wouldn't use anything on young children unless it was specifically approved for children.   (Friday's episode - Sept 2)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).