Esteemed Contributor

Granddaughter is scared of the School toliets....

She's 5yrs old and in Kindergarten.at a new School that has the modern quick flushing commodes. Since this School goes up to 6th grade, it has about 10 stalls and it does really echo.....

The teacher let her go to the restroom with 2 of her friends....but she wouldn't "go"......but she did wash her hands...

It automatically flushes....so....teling her not to flush won't work.

Any ideas would be appreciated...

Honored Contributor

Re: Granddaughter is scared of the School toliets....

@Nataliesgramma  At 5 years old school is full of new experiences,.  I like that the teacher is sending her to the restroom with two classmates.    I hope that you have called the school and talked to the teacher about her fears so she can continue to reassure her that she is always safe at her school and she has nothing to fear.  With a loving concerned grammy like you, she will adjust and all will be well in little time,

Esteemed Contributor

@Nataliesgramma, can you or someone in your family take her places that have washrooms like this and show her how they work, tell her why they flush on their own (to protect her from germs) and desensitize her a bit.  This might help.  I know fears in the minds of such young children can seem like enormous obstacles.  Good luck!  LM

Respected Contributor

I remember my granddaughter was scared of the automatic flush toilets when she was little because one flushed while she was sitting on it.  She was afraid that she was going to get flushed down.  We just had to talk to her and reassure her that she would not get flushed down the toilet.  I agree they are really loud and it kind of takes you by surprise when they all of a sudden flush. 

Esteemed Contributor

I think it's a good idea to take her somewhere with similar toilets.This way you or her mom can explain to her & show her how it works.This would alleviate her fears.

If you can't find a place with a similar toilet perhaps the school would allow you to take her into the bathroom either before or after school.

Respected Contributor

Good suggestions. 

How about some soft ear plugs, just for going to bathroom. Just till she gets used to it and she will.

Respected Contributor

Have her mother (or somebody close) take her to the bathroom when school is not in session, and show her the ropes, so to speak.  I can't image the school would not allow this.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

I never liked using the bathrooms in the schools I attended. So I would wait until I got home from school.

And I still only use a public bathroom when absolutely necessary. 

Esteemed Contributor

When my daughter was in her 30s, she confessed to me that she NEVER used the school bathrooms. Apparently, there were always "nasty girls" hanging around and she was afraid of them. I'm glad there was no permanent damage...physical or emotional.

Honored Contributor

Take her to school early one morning and go into the bathroom with her.  First you tinkle and  let it flush and make a big deal about how modern and wonderful the toilet is.  Then tell her to try it out, make it like a game.  It's just a new experience for her, she needs some reassurance from Mom.