Trusted Contributor

Going off off to college today

We are about to take our only child to Uni. of Vermont. We are excited at this new chapter of our son's life, yet I'm also feeling anxious and sad. It's such a big change for all of us, especially after this pandemic year. I just hope he has a great time and enjoys his freshman year. 
For those who have been through this, how did you feel when dropping off your college kid?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Going off off to college today

oh my.....our first granddaughter is going off to college tomorrow.....going to see her today to give her a hug.....and i'll be bringing a box of kleenex........seems like just yesterday that i was dropping her mom off to college!!  hang in there and enjoy the memory.........

Trusted Contributor

@Lisa Y wrote:

We are about to take our only child to Uni. of Vermont. We are excited at this new chapter of our son's life, yet I'm also feeling anxious and sad. It's such a big change for all of us, especially after this pandemic year. I just hope he has a great time and enjoys his freshman year. 
For those who have been through this, how did you feel when dropping off your college kid?

@Lisa Y   I was a single mom at the time my daughter left for college.  I thought I had it under control until I closed the front door of our home.  I cried the whole time during our drive to Penn State.  It was a huge adjustment for me.  But... fortunately her dad lives there and we are good friends.  He kept an eye on her and we talked frequently.  It was a wonderful experience for her. She got a great education, has had a rewarding career, and made many lifelong friends.  What more could we want for our kids...

Fast  forward.. her daughter who is only 9 has already decided she wants to go to Penn State.  When the time comes... I'm sure her grandfather will be keeping an eye on her as well.  
Best of luck to your son.  I'm sure he will enjoy the experience.  

Regular Contributor

My 3 are all done w college. They all went to different schools in different areas.

I think it's normal to be sad, proud, nervous, etc all at the same time. I definitely was

all of those things with each kid. He will be fine. You will be fine. Take pride

in the fact that you've raised a son who is making a wonderful choice. This education

willmbring along a wonderful job. Good luck to your son & you!

Super Contributor

My heart hurt with actual pain when my first went off to college.  You get over it, I promise! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just remember they are so excited to start this journey.  I had one dear friend whose three son's all sent her three granddaughter's off to college on the same day.  One to TCU in Ft. Worth, one to UT in Austin and one to A&M in College Station.  Talk about a "shock" to that first family Sunday dinner with three members missing.   Now they are career women, married and two are Moms.  Life moves very very quickly.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

I too have a son (only child).  We had mixed feelings when he went away to college--relief and sadness.  It is another step on the road to adulthood.  

Respected Contributor

We have 3 kids thus 3 drop offs.   I suggest not crying, carrying on and letting on that you are sad. Because you don't want them to be. You want them to be happy and excited. Exact same advice for kindergarten drop off. They feed off your anxiety.

Very exciting time for them. You raised a great kid. Now is the time for him to go off and be great. 

Super Contributor

@Lisa Y wrote:

bring lots of tissues with you cause i cried buckets with my only son going away to college and he was only two hours away. we are extremely close, so we knew he'd call if he needed anything even if it was just to talk. we visited some, but not too often, like for family weekend. 
good luck and you'll get used to the unaccustomed freedom.

Esteemed Contributor

Single mom here. It's been a few years, but it hit me when I said my goodbyes at school and got in the car- that's when the tears came.   Life is about to change for everyone. 
First time it became just youngest child and me at home. It was very nice. Three years later, with both in college it was just me for the first time since I was single. That was also nice, but in a different way. Next year child #1 graduated and in August got his first professional job and chose to live at home to save $ for his own house.

Both kids met their spouses in college. As I said, life is about to change for everyone, hopefully in all good ways.

Best wishes for all kids and parents who are starting on this journey this week. Much success.For those who are still a year  or two away: start preparing them NOW, and I don't mean academically. They need to learn responsibility, accountability and life skills from you- now,