Super Contributor

Hello, My granddaughter is so tall and skinny that we have trouble finding jeans to fit.  She is 9 with a waist of 22" and inseam of 26".  I haven't found many choices with a waistband with 2 buttons to make them tighter.  Plus, the length isn't quite long enough.  She is in 4th grade now and beginning to take more interest in what she wears.  She doesn't like the pull on knit leggings anymore.  

Her Mom passed away 1 1/2 years ago from cancer---so my Son is a single Dad.

Anyone have suggestions please?  Thank you.  

Respected Contributor

I would take a look at Hollister (hollister co dot com).  They have skinny, super skinny, etc., and may have the size you need.  Also, they come in tall versions.  And many on sale right now.  I'm thinking a size 00 would be right for her?  There are jean "jeggings" which tend to be like leggings at various retailers, but they are made out of denim so that may be an option. 

I'm not sure what you mean about 2 buttons to make them tighter, but even though she is young, they may have a style that she likes and will fit. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Super Contributor

@pietook @I was thinking maybe Old Navy? I don't know where u live but u could look for it online at Old Navy to see measurements. I am sure ur son appreciates u trying to help. 

Super Contributor

The 2 buttons---- on the inside of some waistbands---there are 2 buttons---one normal placed and another about an inch away to make waist smaller.  Hope this makes sense!

Respected Contributor

@Rose429 :  I was just thinking the same thing - Old Navy. All my grands like to "jeans shop ) there. Two of them love going to Goodwill and peruse their "eclectic" finds.

Respected Contributor

@pietook wrote:

The 2 buttons---- on the inside of some waistbands---there are 2 buttons---one normal placed and another about an inch away to make waist smaller.  Hope this makes sense!

@pietook   i've seen this inside button on regular pants or trousers but never on jeans.

try to see if she likes jeggings or try the boy's dept.   when those low-rise striped jeans were in style in the 60s we got them in a boy's clothing store. in the '70s i got boy's Levis straights because the girl's jeans were all bell bottoms

Respected Contributor

My tall friend shops Lands End for her tall kids.

Honored Contributor

@pietook 

Take her to all the local malls in your area.  Most if not all have stores geared toward tweens since your GD is tall & thin.  All clothes should be tried on prior to purchase.  Buying offline is a ****** shoot when trying to cloth a tall & thin tween

Just to name a few tween stores:

Banana Republic

Limited

Old Navy

Macy's

American Eagle

All of my GC are tall & thin.  When I have them for the summer, prior to them going  back home, we hit all the malls for their school clothes.

Don't be stuck on the 2 button thingy.  There are hacks for that.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Girls Skinny fit jeans?

[ Edited ]

@pietook You mention her inseam is 26" and the pants she find are not long enough.  You mention her waist is 22 and that the pants waistbands are too loose.  I am wondering whether she is shopping the girls section, and suggest you consider whether shopping the misses section would provide a better fit.  The misses inseams would be longer.  I had to move to misses sizes at about that age because of my 18" waist and chest and hips too large for girl sizes.  You don't mention her hip size, but do mention the pants waistbands are too loose, so I am thinking that is the issue in terms of fit, the discrepancy between waist and hips when comparing girls and misses sizes.

Hope this helps.

Esteemed Contributor

Old Navy and Justice