Respected Contributor

@songbird wrote:

It's stupid.  In Europe they don't even have baby showers.  All gifts for a child is always after the child is born. 

The younger generation is infatuated with these types of parties. And they post silly photos online on their social media accounts. This is a product of the self obsessed, narcissistic “look at me” mentality born of the social media age. 

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't attend and I wouldn't send a gift. Many of these parties damage the environment and some are dangerous causing forest fires and injuries.  Attendance indicates approval.

Trusted Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I wouldn't attend and I wouldn't send a gift. Many of these parties damage the environment and some are dangerous causing forest fires and injuries.  Attendance indicates approval.

@occasionalrain The same could be said of a 4th of July party; in fact, I'm sure injury--both bodily and environmental-- is far more prevelant at those than at a gender reveal party.  I would hope a grandparent would suspend their personal opinion to attend a celebration in honor of their grandchild. Sheesh.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Respected Contributor

I am a grandma 9 times over. Never had a gender reveal party for any of them. My youngest DD and SIL invited us over to open the gender letter from her dr. They wanted us there. When we found out it would be a girl, she and I got in the car and drive to the closest store, Dillards, and together cleaned out the baby department of everything pink.       I think if you attend and if you want to take something, take a beautiful white or yellow blanket.