Respected Contributor

Help......gift or no gift what do you do?  If gift giving what do you give for this type of party? I am the grandparent. 

Honored Contributor

I would think the same kind of gift one would bring to a shower....why not combine the two - a  Shower/Gender Reveal party.  I think both are not necessary.

Esteemed Contributor

I just don't get the significance of theses gender reveal parties???   I have no idea, maybe cash as I am thinking a gift down the road at the shower??   I'm not a grandma but I truly feel this nonsense has become a bit much. JMO.   Good luck.

Honored Contributor

@panda1234 Your presence is your gift.  Wait until later and see what needs crop up.  You are family, not a guest.

Respected Contributor

The ones I know of have been small family get togethers. If there is food you could offer to bring a dish. No gifts. 
Have fun!

Respected Contributor

Re: Gender Reveal Party

[ Edited ]

I would not be bringing a gift to this.

Esteemed Contributor

If I was the grandparent I would give a gift. I would do it in private, so the other guest's don't question whether they were required to do the same. 

I would contribute cash toward a 529 plan, or a similar plan. How much is what you can afford. 

Honored Contributor

It's hard to know what to give, since you don't know the baby's s*x.   Maybe a box of diapers.

By the way, I heard the party should be called a s*x reveal party, since the parents will only tell you whether the baby is male or female.  The baby's gender won't be known until much later, when the child is older.  I know it's controversial; but it made sense.

Respected Contributor

when the baby comes out of the womb, with very few exceptions, there is only two genders. male, or female.  

what the child may or may not do in the future, has nothing to do with which gender the child is born. 

I would say your presence is gift enough, for this party. Gifts will come later.

@ValuSkr wrote:

It's hard to know what to give, since you don't know the baby's s*x.   Maybe a box of diapers.

By the way, I heard the party should be called a s*x reveal party, since the parents will only tell you whether the baby is male or female.  The baby's gender won't be known until much later, when the child is older.  I know it's controversial; but it made sense.

Contributor

When my son and his wife had a gender reveal (parents and siblings only, small gathering), I bought an outfit for a girl and an outift for a boy and had both bags ready to go. Once they announced it was a girl, I gave then the girl bag (and a box of diapers and a neutral stuffed animal).

I joked that we had gender reveals when our kids were born...it was called BIRTH.