Honored Contributor

Re: GRANDPARENTS MISSING GRANDCHILDREN

@Zaimee   Very crazy, sad times and you're not the only one that's caught loving your grandchildren, but not able to see them. Let's comfort ourselves knowing that we're protecting each other from the virus. 

Honored Contributor

I have 3 grandkids.  The twins just turned 4 and the youngest is 2.  I haven't seen them since Christmas because their dad is military and they are so far away.  We've facetimed and I love it.  But it's not the same as seeing them.  I miss them a lot.

Valued Contributor

When this first began I had my grandkids off and on for a couple of weeks until things really flared up.  DH and I are fortunate, we have no health issues.  We also volunteer at food bank and pick up groceries to stock the food pantry.  The pantry was being kept open with specific protocol and we were given the option and we chose to work it as people need to eat.  After a couple of times I realized grands were out of school for a reason and I didn't want to bring them anything,  So we stopped seing them for about six weeks.  I couldn't stand it any longer.  My son and daughter-in-law, considered "essential" works never missed a day of work. 

Our family has been blessed.  Everyone is working, we enjoy each other and we have all been in good health.    

Respected Contributor

My grandkids live an hour from us.  We go to see them, sit in the garage with both doors open, distance and wear masks.  We order lunch to pick up.  It's not the best, but it's all we've got.  I used to like to visit their rooms, give hugs, play a game with them at the dining room table. watch a movie.  They used to come to our house and we would have a nice time visiting and kids doing whatever they wanted.  No more.  It's sad because as time passes, they grow up, and I don't think we can get back to those fun family visits.

We have to be careful because the most important thing is for us to protect ourselves and each other.  When I hear people say, "I'm not that worried about it," it makes me angry.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@abbalulu wrote:

We live in the same town as our daughter and our three grandchildren and have seen them very little since March. We have seen them outdoors in the yard on occasion over the summer. We live in a northern climate so those visits will end soon if they haven't already. We used to get together weekly. We are being abundantly cautious, as both my husband and myself have some underlying conditions and both our daughter and her SO work outside the home and the grandkids socialize with some of the other neighborhood families. Our daughter had been exposed to Covid and tested negative so we know there is the possibility that one of them could carry it and bring it to us. My husband has been working from home ever since March.

We do facetime occasionally but it's not the same as being with the kids in person and letting the conversations happen organically.

I think missing the kids and grandkids has been the hardest thing about the pandemic for me. Hopefully we will eventually be able to travel and attend concerts and go to restaurants again, but I feel like we have missed out on so much of the grand's lives during the last seven months.

I'm in the same boat; I really sympathize with you and everyone else who's in this situation. I've seen my granddaughter just one or twice since March and I sure do miss her.

Valued Contributor

A sad thing is the epidemic of estrangement where adult children reject their parents and these grandchildren may not even know their grandchildren. Even good parents have had this happen and it's heartbreaking. At least your adult kids haven't decided you have no value even though these times are hard. And eventually, you'll see or be around the grandkids again. Estranged parents have also suffered through this terrible isolation. 

Honored Contributor

Thankfully, we don't live in an area with high Covid 19 numbers.  Although, they are on the rise and that scares me greatly.  Hubby and I are careful about where we go and who we see but since May, we have had a monthly visit with our both daughters and the grandchildren.  We all are super careful when it comes to masks, hand hygiene and social distancing so I feel safe with them.  But we still have our visits out on the deck.  However, I speak and see my girls and the kids a few times a week via Skype or Zoom.  I especially like Zoom because we can all visit together.  We're making it work.  

Valued Contributor

We have 3 grandchildren who live about a mile away but we have only been able to see them briefly and with masks or outdoors at a distance. We also have 2 grandchildren who live far away (We are in NC and they are in Texas) and we haven't seen them since Christmas. It is very hard not seeing them and FaceTime is just not the same. We miss them all so much!

Honored Contributor

Lots of grandparents all around the world in the same situation.

We have to think/remember that it's better to keep away than being hospitalized and alone, or even worse.

For those who live close to one another, sitting outside (distanced) and/or chatting through a window is a good alternative. 

Let's hope that next year, we will all be in a better place, healthwise and safety-wise, in the scheme of things.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

I don't get to see my granddaughter as much as I want to and suddenly an idea popped into my mind, so I've started writing her a letter once a week. It's no substiture for seeing her in person but it's a way to keep in touch ad try to make sure she does't forget us.

I'll be so glad if/when this pandemic is over and I can hug her and her parents in person.