Respected Contributor

Re: GOOD MESSAGE TO OUR KIDS

The Gift of Fear by Gavin Dr Becker is a must read-particularly for young women entering college or leaving home for the first time. So many people, especially women, ignore or push down feelings of discomfort for fear of insulting or hurting another's feelings. I've done this as a young woman and found myself in a couple of unsavory situations in the company of unsavory individuals. Trust your gut. It's usually right.

Honored Contributor

I gave my son the stranger-danger talk as soon as he could understand what it was about. Small children think all grown ups are like their parents and really need to know that just because they are in charge you do not have to do everything they say if it does not feel right. Also, some kids are fearless when they are small and think nothing bad will happen. When I was a kid I knew bad things could happen from a very early age and was always suspicious of adults. I would hope by the time kids are in high school and college that they have enough experience and confidence in themselves to at least be cautious. There certainly is enough info out there warning about all kinds of situations even if the parents never taught them anything.

Respected Contributor

@wishmoon wrote:

This is a good message for ALL ages.

Absolutely agree with this.. My sense of perception has ALWAYS been spot on for all of my life.