Esteemed Contributor

Re: Frustrated...how to get the allergy point across

I understand completely.  I have a ton of allergies and a few are ER visits.  Seafood is deadly for me.  I can't be around it to even breathe it in let alone eat it. Relatives will say that we'll keep that in the kitchen and you can stay in the dining room. That does NOT work for me. I get tired of hearing my own voice repeat over and over again about the allergies and which ones are deadly that I need to avoid .  It's so frustrating. I don't know if people just don't listen or don't understand or what.but I understand. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@colliegirls wrote:

People forget and it can be hard to keep up with everyone's allergies.  It is up to your GD and her mother to be responsible for what she eats.  

I agree @colliegirls. I fully understand what a misery it is to have allergies, particularly severe ones, but I don't think people are intentionally unmindful, uncaring, rude and certainly not cruel. The fact is this isn't part of their day to day reality and it's a bit of a stretch to expect it to be. Education of the person with the allergy and vigilance by their immediate family and other immediate caregivers is key. Chastising others is not the solution...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

People are clueless.  Instead of driving yourself crazy  and expecting them to review labels, I think I would be tempted to provide them a list of what items are acceptable. 

Respected Contributor

Oh, for heaven's sake.  Everyone is responsible for her own needs.  Accept gifts of food with grace, but don't eat ones you can't.  Always carry substitutes.  Don't let the allergic child become a special snowflake.

Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

Oh, for heaven's sake.  Everyone is responsible for her own needs.  Accept gifts of food with grace, but don't eat ones you can't.  Always carry substitutes.  Don't let the allergic child become a special snowflake.

Having an allergy that is 100% fatal, does not make one a "special snowflake."

Respected Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I guess I feel that they don't take an allergy serious.....or know about cross contamination.They think a "little bit won't hurt"....

My hubby's sister made a batch of cookies especially for Natalie with no nuts and was so proud she remembered she can't eat nuts...HOWEVER

she had just made a prior batch with nuts and the same rolling pin and the same cookie sheet without washing them......

She was shocked that we wouldn't let her eat any of them........Had I not seen that she baked the other cookies with nuts prior to the ones without........Natalie would have had a reaction.

We ALWAYS carry an epi pen

I had a student one year that had a fatal peanut allergy so I do know where you're coming from. His allergy was discovered when he was a toddler. His mother researched everything she could find about peanuts, peanut oils and the varied names they can be found under in ingredient lists. Just because a label doesn't have peanuts/peanut oil listed doesn't mean it's not there in one form or another. Lotions, makeup, certain spaghetti sauces and more contain peanut oil under a different name. 

Her hard and fast rule for her son: He did NOT eat any food that was NOT prepared in her home. He learned that rule from the time he was a toddler. He also learned not to touch things while out and about: peanut oil can last days on a surface. A bleach solution removes it but who wipes down store shelves, etc. with a bleach solution? 

Cross contamination is a real danger. I did not eat peanuts in any form that year. His mom gave me a list of safe wrapped candies-ones that did not contain peanuts and had not been manufactured in a plant that may have also had peanuts. His first taste of chocolate was when one of my student's grandmothers brought a shopping bag full of chocolate candies from Canada. Their labels clearly stated they were manufactured in peanut free plants. 

Have your granddaughter's mother print out a list of acceptable candies that others in the family can give as treats/gifts. If it's not on the list she can't have it. 

And remember, if the food wasn't made in your granddaughter's home, she can't eat it. Not unless you keep your own home allergy free. 

Respected Contributor

As a nurse, I have been involved in the care of patients with anaphylactic reactions.  So, I know how serious they are.

Having said that, you cannot hold the world responsible.  My daughter worked at a fast food restaurant and had customers that would berate them for NOT being able to accomodate their allergic issues.  Fast food is not set up for that, much less any restaurant really.

You cannot get food gifts.  Period.  This is something YOU, the parent, are responsible for.  And when she's old enough, SHE will have to be responsible for. 

Personally, if it were my child, I would just have her fed from home.  There are diabetic children that are very restricted as well as other medical conditions.

My daughter had medical, emotional, issues, and I only considered MYSELF responsible.

To keep her safe, this is what probably has to be done.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

Having an allergy that is 100% fatal, does not make one a "special snowflake."

I don't know, I think it sort of does when the expectation becomes for everyone else to know about it and sort of dance around it. Being aware and sensitive is one thing, but the person or his/her immediate care givers should bear the ultimate responsibilty for managing any condition.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

I understand the frustration. I think having suitable snacks or meals with you while attending events or celebrations is great. 

Instead of treats for holidays, and the reminders of food allergies, maybe suggest other items such as stickers, bracelets, silly putty etc.

It maybe less aggrevating.

Super Contributor

A lot of people are aware of allergies, but a few don't understand that allergies can be deadly.   I've lost count of how many times I've been told that something only has a little bit of seafood, or just a few nuts. They say it's easy enough to pick them out or eat around it.  Or worse, those whose feelings are hurt when I refuse to try just a bite.

Everyone I know has been told of my allergies. They often forget. When they do, I usually just thank them for their thoughtful gift, and I pass it on to my daughter.    I no longer attend pot lucks because I need to know everything that goes into my mouth.  That's my responsibility.

While I'd never ask others to cater to my allergies, I do wish that others could be more understanding when I must decline that little bite.

Does your granddaughter have a medical ID bracelet? There are some cute ones for kids, so that might be an idea to remind not just others, but her to wait to eat anything until it's been checked at home.