Esteemed Contributor

Frustrated...how to get the allergy point across

My granddaughter is allergic to Tree nuts....very allergic. We have told all the relatives and friends and even showed them her picture in emergency all swollen on iVs after eating ONE pistachio.

Every Holiday, Halloween, Valentines Day, Easter, I remind them to check labels if they say they are getting her a treat. I still have a few that will buy something that has a warning on the label that it is processed in a facility with tree nuts.

My daughter or I will be nice and Thank them for the treat and mention that we had to give it away because of the tree nut allergy and cross contamination.We finally said not to buy anything for her that she gets 'enough' candy.

I don't know how elese I can get it across to these people not to buy or give her anything that hasn't been checked!

Super Contributor

Re: Frustrated...how to get the allergy point across

Yes , that is a problem ,my son is 30 now and has had this nut alllergy since he was  a child , He still has an epipen and does get bad  reactions with a recent trip to ER a few yrs ago as we have just moved to USA  and he went on a confernce to   north carolina and did not know the fast food was fried in peanut oil and had an allergic reaction so that was an ER visit . He said nowhere was there a sign warning of the oil used . So it is a constant worry .

There is a company in uk , called Fabulous Baking Boys , and they have on their label on the cakes ,"We have no nuts in our facility " This was the first time I have seen that on a label , so that was great . They do choc cup cakes , flap jacks , etc . 

I know how hard it is for you for you have a never ending job of checking everything and everbody all the time .

New Contributor

Good Morning,

I have 17 year old twins who are anaphylactic to all tree nuts, shelelfish, mangoes. They were to eggs but that has ended. YAY!!  I know exactly how you feel - Education is KEY and I sounded like a broken record but didnt care..this is too important.  It is also imperative that the children understood and they were so careful and looked out for one another.  Honestly, I made some enemies along the way and lost a few friends but again, dont care, as my children's health was of utmost importance.  On Halloween, theyd go out, bring it back, and we'd gve away what theycould not eat. I always had a stash of safe treats and they were thrilled with those.  If we were going out or to a party, I called ahead and arranged a meal for them. If it could not be worked out, we didnt go..easy as that.  I also ALWAYS had food with me..have even gone to a brunch for a family memebr and brought our own food.  As they get older, it is so much easier.  I don't know how old your granddaughetr is but, trust me, it gets easier.  It is even easier with people understanding (ie restaurants) now than it was 17 years ago.  Once you watch a child in anaphylaxis, you "get it" - School was another issue but mine went to private school up until 10th grade so it was smaller and easier to control.  There are always a few sets of parents who do not want to be told what to do and made our lives very difficult but, we had the school behind us and perservered.  Again, not afraid to speak my mind to keep my children safe.  A great great resource is a magazine called Allergic Living...comes out quarterly but so wonderful if you can get it - I have a subscription so mailed to us.  I wish you well and always here for advice and help - We also have a phenominal pediatric allergist if that would help you.  As my children are seniors and applying to college, the first thing they asked at every tour was about the food service and how they handle allergies - it becomes a part of your life, a mangeable part, but you must be proactive and adamant - not worth any chances. 

Honored Contributor

Your relatives and friends are certainly not uninformed.    There have been entire news shows devoted to this particular problem of nut allergies.   The only thing I can say is that they are thoughtless and inconsiderate.......maybe even cruel.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Valued Contributor

@Nataliesgramma, you can't, and the risk is too great to put life-or-death control in other people's hands, so you are wise to be vigilant.  I know it is frustrating, but most people just don't put much effort or thought into gift-giving, in this busy day & age.  At least, that is what I've noticed.  

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Esteemed Contributor

People forget and it can be hard to keep up with everyone's allergies.  It is up to your GD and her mother to be responsible for what she eats.  

Trusted Contributor

There are many sites with lists of allergy friendly foods/candy. I'd send copies to your relatives.

Respected Contributor

I'm sorry your granddaughter has this allergy and I k ow you have to be careful.  But I think it's up to parents,grandparents, her if she is a certain age, to police her treats. Mentioning you had to give it away seems unnecessary. Just discreetly give it away. People don't often remember other's issues and really they don't need to unless they are in charge of you granddaughter.  

Honored Contributor

The next time your GD receives a food item containing nuts, the gift should be refused and the giver advised that the item can not be accepted as it is poison to your GD and will cause sickness and possible death. The giver will get the idea.

I have worked with people who have refused to believe that food allergies can cause severe reactions.  They made light of a very serious problem. I sometimes can't understand their behavor.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

The next time your GD receives a food item containing nuts, the gift should be refused and the giver advised that the item can not be accepted as it is poison to your GD and will cause sickness and possible death. The giver will get the idea.

I have worked with people who have refused to believe that food allergies can cause severe reactions.  They made light of a very serious problem. I sometimes can't understand their behavor.

A simple " thank you but I am allergic" is enough.  Having an allergy is no excuse to be rude.  There are so many allergies these days, it may be hard for the gift giver to keep up with who has what.