Honored Contributor

Re: For those who have pierced ears...

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I was a freshman in college when my friend numbed my ears with ice and stuck a needle through it.

@proudlyfromNJ 

That's what I did!  I was at a friend's house.  Don't remember but think her mom did them.  I called my stepmother and asked if I could "pierce the other one"!

Super Contributor

I was 13.   My friends mom.  Took thread and needle and numbed  my ear.  Ears are still pierced 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mine were done at about 6 months. My sister also. I'm Puerto Rican and my Titi (aunt) in Ponce did them when we went to visit her. I think it's cultural also. All the women in our family had pieced ears and wore a gold religious necklace of some kind. My son wouldn't let my granddaughters have it done when they were babies. His MIL and I weren't happy about it though. She's Filipino. She told me her family also did it very young. DS said he wanted to wait until the girls asked for it and could make their own decision. Well, now the 5 year old is asking for it and he said yes. We thought he'd meant when she was way older, like 18! I told him he might as well had let her have it done when she was a baby. To young to be afraid! Lol! They haven't had it done yet due to Covid. Hoping they'll do the 2 year old at the same time. I told him then that I'd  never met a woman that said. " I wish my mom hadn't pierced my ears." I can't imagine not having mine! Like @SloopJohnB , I'd feel naked without them! I have a second piercing in each ear. I did it myself. I use to watch Ryan's Hope(a soap opera) when I was in my early twenties and Jill Coleridge(Nancy Addison) had hers done. I just loved the look! 💎💍📿💃🏽

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

@Starpolisher   Yes, 6 months seems to be the age when done as a baby.  We have always had the pediatrician do it.  And I guess, here again our "old fashion" ways come into play, only one hole in each ear still.   LOL 

And yes, always wear a gold religious necklace.  I usually wear my crucifix.  Maybe this, too, falls under the Latin/Italian thing. 

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

Oh gosh, back in the day my friend's sister pierced half the ears on our block......The Old Fashioned way! I think I was 13. I got both my daughters ears pierced when they were babies at a doctors office......My granddaughters  ages 4 and 8 both got their ears pierced at a kiosk at the Mall.... 

Honored Contributor

Age 13, had to wait ‘till then, pay for doctor to do it & purchase the 14kt sleepers he used.  Jeweler sharpened them.

Parents did NOT approve - Mom called it Trashy.  6 mos later she had Hers done.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I didn't get my ears pierced until I was 14 and only because I begged my mom forcab entire summer.  I threatened that I would have my friend's sister do it.  She caved in and took me to family doctor and he did it.  Quick, painless and easy. He used a needle with little novocaine to make the whole and put the 24k stud in and I started hs with pierced ears.  My good friend is an MD and she did my girls ears in the same way when they were 6 or 7 years old.  

Honored Contributor

I was probably 16ish - girlfriend did it with a needle and floss, yikes!!  

I never got an infection. 

Trusted Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I was a freshman in college when my friend numbed my ears with ice and stuck a needle through it.

@proudlyfromNJ    Glad it's not just me !   I was 17.  A family member pierced my ears the exact same way....My dad was not happy.   

Honored Contributor

14 for the first piercing back in the mid '70's, then 17 years old for the second piercing.  My little sister wanted to get her daughter's pierced as soon as she brought her home from the hospital.  They were in their 40's before they were able to adopt so she had waited so long to have a daughter.  I begged her to wait until my niece was about 10 years old.  I believe she waited 3 or 4 months.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."