Honored Contributor

Re: For those who have pierced ears...

I have 5 piercings in each ear.  I got the first when I was in 8th grade and the doctor did them and put in a thick waxed string that I had to pull around several times a day.  The others were done at ages 19, 20, 21 and 22 and were done by a nurse at a piercing place at the local county fair.  Earrings are the only jewelry I wear and like others said I feel naked without them. 

Honored Contributor

@SloopJohnB wrote:

@beach-mom  Nice story and you got diamonds to boot!

@SloopJohnB - I still have them but don't wear them much. Shortly after we were married DH gave me love knot "jackets" the studs fit in. 

I have SO many now. I tend to wear hoops more, but I wear a lot of different ones!

DD got hers done at Claire's when she was 12. I was trying to hold her off until she was 13, because I wanted her to take care of her piercings AND her earrings. She tended to lose things a lot! Sure enough, she didn't follow the care instructions and ended up with infected earlobes. She had to let them close up and get them done again later. This time we went to another Claire's, where I was more comfortable with the person doing the piercing. She was an older, more experienced piercer! DD now has 3 holes in each ear.

You WERE young! I remember reading a news article in the local paper when I was a teenager. There was a young couple who had triplets. They pierced their babies' ears and put different colored studs in to tell them apart!   Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

I nagged my mom all through my teen years to get my ears pierced. I'm pretty sure that she was so against it, because the idea creeped her out. When I got my first real job one of my first purchases was ear piercing and earrings. It was the start of my life long love affair with hoops of any kind.  Later I got a second piercing, which have now closed .  When I became an adult I offered to treat my mom to ear piercing ( because she admired my earrings ) , but she looked horrified. She just hated the idea.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

I'm telling my age here.  I was about 12, we would rub our ear lobes until they got numb, my mom burned the tip of a sewing needle to sterilize it then pierced my ears. After the piercing she would put a pIece of vaseline soaked broom straw in my ears so the straw  would move freely until my  ears were healed.  after about 2 weeks the straw would be removed then I could wear earrings. I would have to occasionally move the straw back and forth in my ears during the healing process to keep the straw from getting stuck

Super Contributor

I was 12 years old and my sister-in-law pierced my ears using the sleepers that you put in and squeeze them and eventually they go through.  I really wanted them pierced so I took care to squeeze them and clean them with alcohol, never had an infection,  that was in the mid-50s and I love wearing my many pairs of earrings and feel naked without them.  I don't sleep in them but put them in each morning.  I did find that I can't wear costume earrings only 14 kt or better.

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom Yes, Claire's seems to be the popular spot.  I have many, many earrings and doing the math I have 60 1\2  years worth of earrings.  I have kept them all thru the years.  We are Italian and that's how I and my female relatives grew up, with the early piercings.  I notice a lot of Latin families do the same.  

That's a cute idea about the triplets...👶👶👶

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

I was 27.  A friend took me to the mall for my birthday to get it done there.

I waited so long because I was traumatized by the ice cube and needle method that I watched my mother and sister get.

Where I had it done, they did one ear at a time and I had to walk around the mall for an hour to get up the nerve to do the other ear.  

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

I think I was 14 when I had mine done and my friend did it for me.  I don't remember a potato being involved.  But I sure do remember that needle because that ice cube did NOT numb my ears! OUCH!!! And yes, I got in trouble for doing it, and infected ear lobes. 

Respected Contributor

@SloopJohnB wrote:

Your quote at the bottom of your post is my favorite song of all time.  I have the CD of their hits and I play it always in the car.  I never get tired of it.  

Honored Contributor

@SloopJohnB wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ Did she put a potato behind your earlobe to give it some backing?  I think it was in a scene from Grease.😀

@SloopJohnB  No, none available in the dorm in those days. Not sure what she used.