Respected Contributor

Re: For those who have pierced ears...

I was about 25, and my mother (about 59) got them done at the mall in one of those kiosks.  I have no idea why either of us waited so long.  I since went on for further piercings . . . 2 more in my lobes and a targus and a rook. 

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ Did she put a potato behind your earlobe to give it some backing?  I think it was in a scene from Grease.😀

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Trusted Contributor

@SloopJohnB  I had mine done at nine years old. My mom took me to our family doctor. My dad was horrified. He thought it was barberic too. Haha. He adjusted though. There were no mall piercing places when I grew up. I presently have three holes in each ear and wear earrings in each hole daily. I feel naked without them.

My mom and her sisters had them done at birth. Def cultural.

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ 

Like proudly, girlfriends did it in the bathroom with ice cube and cork.  Luckily she did a good job.  

Respected Contributor

Ice cube & a needle when I was 13, I did a good job too but got grounded for a week ...so worth it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My Aunt pierced all the girls ears in our family. She would ice the ear, take a very thick needle and take an earring that hung slightly and put it in the hole while the needle was still in there!!! We would then have to put neosporin and or alcohol on the lobes and were told to move the earring around. Believe it or not, we never got an infection. I was about 13 when I decided I wanted this barbaric ritual done to me. 😝  When I was about 20 I decided I wanted another piercing above one of my originals. My sister in law took alcohol and a post earring and just jabbed it in and put the back on it. It really didn't hurt because it was so fast. 😝 

Respected Contributor

@Another new name Sue  Oh, ok....cork....I only heard of the infamous potato.  LOL

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Respected Contributor

@kitcat51 DIY job.  You were pretty brave!

Respected Contributor

@KBEANS  You ladies are pretty brave....I don't know if I could do that now. Luckily I was too young to know better or even remember it.  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

i was a teenager....i remember my aunt using a needle...and put a potato behind my ear!