Trusted Contributor

Re: For those who have pierced ears...

My oldest daughter's pediatrician would not do ear piercings. A person came to the local department about every two months and I made my daughter wait until she was 12. She backed out after waiting in line for almost an hour...twice....before taking the plunge. My mother would never let me pierce my ears....so three days after I got married, I went and got them pierced. I was the ultimate rebel, according to my mother. 

Contributor

I was 25 & went to my primary care's office to have it done.  I was also very nervous & made my younger sister come with me.  Whilte we were waiting for the doctor to come in my sister was teasing me unmercifully about what a baby I was.  Just before the dr came in she said, "You know I passed out when I had mine done."  I didn't pass out, but I can honestly say it hurt more to have my ears pierced than it did to have my children.

Valued Contributor

@Jrzgirl wrote:

I was 25 & went to my primary care's office to have it done.  I was also very nervous & made my younger sister come with me.  Whilte we were waiting for the doctor to come in my sister was teasing me unmercifully about what a baby I was.  Just before the dr came in she said, "You know I passed out when I had mine done."  I didn't pass out, but I can honestly say it hurt more to have my ears pierced than it did to have my children.

Did you consider it worth the pain? getting your ears pierced, I mean, not childbirth ;-)

I got my ears pierced when I was a teenager and I'm so glad I did, and again when I was 55--a 2nd piercing. I was thinking about a 3rd one but when I talked to my DH, he reluctantly admitted he though it would make me look a little...trashy. I love earings so I'm glad my ears are pierced and I can wear all the earrings I want.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was 10 years old and my best friends Mother pierced my ears.

She put ice cubes on both sides of my earlobes used alcohol

to clean and with a sterilized needle and white thread pierced

my ears.. never had a problem.. I got my second set of piercings in my 

twenties  at Claire's Jewelry and Accessories...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was 15 when I got my ears pierced. -   at a jewelry store at the mall.  It was free if you bought a pair of 14kt gold ball studs.   Done with the gun that has the earring in it and you hear the "click".  My aunt took me along with my cousins. They all got theirs done and I just did it too.  Never asked permission and mom didn't really care.  I stopped wearing earrings about 4 years ago bc the ear pulls down and the earrings no longer sit/hang right.  

Respected Contributor

I cringe at all of these! I was in a Claire's store and saw this young woman jabbing earrings into infant's earlobes. The babies would scream in pain and the parents just ignored the suffering. I saw those poor babies still crying half an hour later while the moms were still shopping...it was all I could do not to grab both those babies and try to comfort them. Both were probably four months old at the most. Why is it necessary to do that to a baby? Why not let them decide when they are older?