Honored Contributor

Re: For those who have pierced ears...

No not a cultural thing in my family.

Mostly females in my family and almost everyone of them has pierced ears.

I think I was probably around 14 or 15.  My sister and I had it done by a doctor together.

We made my daughter wait til she was around 15 to get her's done.

Her sisters didn't have to wait that long.

Mylate husband took a real interest in getting this done.

Typical...we played 4 against 1 and I let them get it done sooner.

Trusted Contributor

Gosh this brings back memories, a girlfriend and I were in our late teens when we decided to get our ears pierced at Gemco which back then sold everything under one roof comparable to what a Super Walmart is today.  I got my 2nd ear piercing a few years later (2 piercings on each lobe).  When I was dating my husband to be in the early 80's, he bought me a pair of 1/4 carat diamond studs for my birthday that I still wear today and never take off in addition to wearing gold hoop earrings almost every day.

Respected Contributor

@SloopJohnB I do not like seeing babies with pierecd ears for the simple fact that it wouldhurt their delicate little ears when sleeping on their sides.I know how it feels when i forget to take mine out

Regular Contributor

I had my first done at age 12.  My mom, aunt and I went to a neighbors house to do it.  She was a nurse.  She just pinched the ear till it got numb then in went the needle with thread.  Kept the thread in for a while with some type of gel and then just cut it out and inserted an earring.  My mom fainted but she did get hers done. 

The second one I did about a year later.  Pierced the same way but did it myself looking in the bathroom mirror.  Only did one till my mom saw it and then when I didn't get into too much trouble did the other one.  Got a phone call during the second one and had the needle hanging out of my ear when the phone rang.  This was 1976.

The third time I went to the mall.  My husband got me a pair of diamond earrings for our anniversary and needed the third hole just for them.  Got it on the cartridge that time and it hurt for the whole year.  Would get more but that third one was just too much.  

Honored Contributor

After we were married, got mine done at a mall in Denver.

Trusted Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I was a freshman in college when my friend numbed my ears with ice and stuck a needle through it.

@proudlyfromNJ    My cousin's grandmother offered to do mine.  I was 16.  She used the same process with ice and a needle.  My dad was livid to say the least since I "forgot" to tell him I was having it done.   He eventually got over it and thought they looked good.....  I can't imagine not having pierced ears.  Love the look.  

Respected Contributor

When my friend and I were about fifteen we tried to do it ourselves. One ear was ok not the other. Went to the mall and had them done. I now have two holes in one ear. Of course I have put the earring in the wrong hole. 

Valued Contributor

I was 12 when I had them pierced. I’d been wanting them for awhile so I told my mom if she takes me to get them pierced I’d clean the whole house that weekend so she could have a break that weekend. She agreed so I cleaned the house perfectly and she took me to an ear piercing clinic.

Through the years I got more piercings and have a total of 7 now. They never closed up.
Trusted Contributor

My girls were born in the 90's and I did what my mom did--had them pierced at 6 months. I took them to a place in the mall.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Trusted Contributor

I got mine pierced in a doctor's office when I was 19 or 20.   My best friend had hers done at the same time.  It was a memorable experience.  At almost 70, I'm ready for a second piercing.