Respected Contributor

First Mother's Day gift for DDIL- Yay or Nay?

This is going to be my sweet DDIL's first Mother's Day. I was wondering if I should start giving her a gift? I will definitely give her flowers but should I give her something else? Would like suggestions as to what some of you do for daughter in laws? (We get along very well and do love one another)😉

TIA, Starr

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

Re: First Mother's Day gift for DDIL- Yay or Nay?

I think Mother's Day is for children giving gifts to mothers, not the other way around.  I could be wrong.  And nothing prevents you from gifting your DIL any day of the year.

Honored Contributor

@Starpolisher wrote:

This is going to be my sweet DDIL's first Mother's Day. I was wondering if I should start giving her a gift? I will definitely give her flowers but should I give her something else? Would like suggestions as to what some of you do for daughter in laws? (We get along very well and do love one another)😉

TIA, Starr

get her one thing, don't set a precedent for multiple gifts

Respected Contributor

@Starpolisher I think it's a sweet idea.  There are so many special occasion little jewelry gifts for special occasions.  Whatever you feel in your heart.  A gift of any kind or any occasion sends a special message. 

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Since you don't want to set a precedent, why not one of the many beautiful carads that carry wonderful messages.  I'd bet there's one out there that says just what you want to say on her first Mom's Day.   She would probably cherish this for many years to come.  

Trusted Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I think Mother's Day is for children giving gifts to mothers, not the other way around.  I could be wrong.  And nothing prevents you from gifting your DIL any day of the year.

I agree.  her husband will give her a gift.  I would not particularly want a memorable gift from my mother in law for Mother's Day....she isn't my mother!  

Valued Contributor

@Starpolisher wrote:

TIA, Starr

Starr:  Flowers make a lovely gift to acknowledge your DIL's frst Mother's Day, no need to add anything else.  She's not your mother so a small token gift, like flowers, is lovely and plenty enough to give. 

Maria

Respected Contributor

Do you live near her? If so, add an offer to babysit so she can get a little time to herself (or so your son can take her out). If not, maybe she'd like a gift certificate or gift card for a mani/pedi, massage, etc. True, she's not your daughter, but a thoughtful gift to a new mother will be very much appreciated and reinforce your loving relationship.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Starpolisher wrote:

TIA, Starr

@Starpolisher

When gifting to others we always give from the heart. Your DDIL is obviously very special to you and IMHO I would listen to what your heart is telling you! I am almost sure you already have an additional gift picked out! 

Take care 💜

Honored Contributor

I think it is a very nice gesture for a MIL to recognize her DIL on Mothers Day.