Esteemed Contributor

Re: Finding a good dog breeder for a golden

When my sisters and i were young we had a dog named bandit. She was some kind of terrier mixed. She was also the besf dog. She lived to be 17 years old. Then two years later we got jake and he lived to be almost ten. We really fell in love with goldens. They are just the sweetest gentle dogs. I am not sure why my dad doesnt want to look at the shelter but I think most of it is just from falling in love with the breed. Its amazing how much a pure bred golden costs. Jake was only three hundred and was a healthy dog and great tempermate.
Regular Contributor

On 2/2/2015 Kachina624 said:
On 2/2/2015 Silver Lining said:
On 2/2/2015 Alsee said: I'm very sorry for your loss - I know how difficult it is. Please forgive me but I have to say it .... Please consider a rescue or shelter dog They need you as much as you need them.
Like Alsee, I'm sorry for your loss but I have no advice on breeders for people who buy while healthy dogs die. There are breed specific rescue groups and many "purebred" dogs in shelters but you apparently know their documentation papers aren't released.

This is nonsense. First, rescue groups have very few, if any, puppies available. We (I'm very involved in rescue) have little info available on the history and background of the dogs since they often are picked up as strays. We wish we knew their "stories". The exceptions are dogs relinquished by owners, which make up a small percentage of rescues.

We did participate in placing some of 149 purebred collies seized from a hoarding situation...I adopted one myself. Since they pretty much bred themselves, we couldn't provide info on pedigree.

There are not a huge number of purebred collies in shelters; in all of 2014 and 2013, not a single one in Albuquerque. We did have a few in El Paso and Las Cruces, although they were not purebred.

There are still about 20 dogs available from the hoarding situation if anyone is interested. They are Smooth Collies with short hair.

Responsible and reputable breeders DO NOT contribute the animals found in shelters and rescue situations. For the most part, shelter animals are there because of backyard breeders, ignorant breeding practices and puppy mills. Responsible breeders do everything possible to avoid any of their animals ending up in those situations and generally do NOT produce a lot of puppies! They keep track of every puppy placed for the life of that puppy, and will take back ANY of their puppies at any time for any reason! How do I know??? Because I was one of those breeders. As with anything else, do your homework, there are good breeders and bad ones!

Check out the AKC shows, ask a lot of questions, and remember, AKC registration is NO GUARANTEE of the health or quality of the dog!

Respected Contributor

I researched a lot before I got my puppy but I started with the AKC website, put in your preferred breed and it will bring up a list of breeders.

I sent tons of e-mails and interviewed these people first, it took months to get my puppy but it was well worth it. Actually it was a referral from another breeder that I got my fur baby.

Some offer health check guaranteed but that's only for the 1st year. No one can guarantee that your new dog will be free of any condition, animals are like humans, some may and some may not. I would research the breed, some dogs are more prone to specific conditions than others.

Good Luck, but keep in mind you need to see the pup first, find out if that's exactly the one you want and be strong enough to walk away if it's not.

Esteemed Contributor

OP: who will be responsible for the dog? I am so sorry for the recent loss of your dog.

I adopted both of my recent dogs from shelters and found them through Petfinder. I would not have it any other way. Most dogs end up in shelters because of the people who were supposed to be responsible for them, and failed at the task. One of my dogs was an adult purebread and obedience trained dog. My present dog is a mixed breed who I got as a 9 month old pup. Best family pets ever.

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/3/2015 queendiva said:

OP: who will be responsible for the dog? I am so sorry for the recent loss of your dog.

I adopted both of my recent dogs from shelters and found them through Petfinder. I would not have it any other way. Most dogs end up in shelters because of the people who were supposed to be responsible for them, and failed at the task. One of my dogs was an adult purebread and obedience trained dog. My present dog is a mixed breed who I got as a 9 month old pup. Best family pets ever.

I am disabled and live with my parents. My mom doesnt work so someone will be home all day. The house is so quiet without a dog around. My mom will be taking it to puppy classes like she did with jake. It makes such a difference.
Super Contributor

I cannot believe how this poor poster is being bullied on this list. She just lost her beloved dog (condolences) and wants to find a reputable breeder to get a new puppy OF THE SAME BREED. She does not want to adopt a stray or a rescue. Is that a crime? Townsend is correct, reputable breeders do NOT contribute to pet overpopulation. While I'd like to lay all the blame on puppy (and kitten) mills, it's usually people who can't be bothered with neutering and spaying or decide they just can't be bothered caring for an animal.

I spent many years adopting strays (cats in this case) and did a lot to raise money for shelters. Then one day I fell madly in love with a neighbor's Himalayan cat and, after much soul searching, bought one. A couple of years later, again after much soul searching, decided to breed them on a small scale (still contributing time and money to shelters). My vow then and now was to be responsible for every kitten I bring into the world. They have the best bloodlines, are carefully tested for congenital defects and are very well socialized.

OP - I echo the suggestion of attending a local dog show and speaking with breeders - even if you have to wait for a puppy, you will find someone who is working for the betterment of the breed rather than just out to make money. My vet deals with a lot of breeders and I've been able to get recommendations for various breeds for friends from him - that might be a place to start.

Honored Contributor

I, too, think it's terrible that the OP is getting bullied in this thread. I've always had purebred dogs and love them. I did get four of them from their breed rescue group, but have bought others. I've just started researching french bulldog breeders, because that's the breed I would like when my beloved senior Japanese Chin dies.

I answered you on the pet forum as to how I would go about finding a reputable breeder. I would start with the Golden Retriever Club of America (www.grca.org) website and go from there. They will give you a list of the breed clubs in your area. You can contact them for a list of breeders. The GRCA should also have a list of questions that you should ask the breeder about what kind of health testing they do. I also agree with going to a dog show if there's one in your area soon. That's not always possible though. In my area we only have one dog show a year. It's the same weekend every year.

I hope you find the puppy you're looking for. I'm very sorry you lost your golden.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Contributor

Sorry for the OP loss. People have a right to do as they please. I do think (after having pure bred dogs and mixed breeds from the shelters) that a shelter dog is so grateful and brings as much joy as one that you get from a breeder. I hope that people realize that there are so many great pets at the shelters that have been the result of irresponsible people. My hope is that some day people are responsible and give pets a FOREVER HOME and neuter/spay their pets and maybe the shelters will not be so full.

Super Contributor

Jesus, the word bullying gets overused these days! The OP is not being bullied just because people are giving her their opinions! She came on here and asked for opinions. Not all of them are going to hold her hand and tell her what she wants is wonderful. That is life! Bullying is a different animal all together than a difference of opinion. Learn the true meaning before bandying the word about. In the meantime, the obsessive need for a purebred anything....be it a pet, a pair of shoes or handbag or otherwise, disturbs me greatly. To me, this is why we still have prejudices against different races, religions or sexual preferences....the obsession with perceived purity being better. In nature, things just naturally BLEND, and it does not mean they are inferior. Without interference or mental prejudice, there would be no "purebred" after a while. All humans of any race, and all animals within their species would blend because natural selection would take effect. The weak would be bred out, and we would probably all be brownish with other races mixed in too. There would be no such thing as a purebred golden retriever. That being said, if the OP wants a purebred dog, then she should get one. I wish she would get a pet from the pound or SPCA, but what I think is not relevant to her daily lifestyle at all. It is her life.
Super Contributor

I wonder if for some reason there is a shortage of purebred dogs. My uncle has been looking for a Westie and can't find any breeders.