Honored Contributor

Re: Finding a good dog breeder for a golden

On 2/2/2015 Silver Lining said:
On 2/2/2015 Alsee said: I'm very sorry for your loss - I know how difficult it is. Please forgive me but I have to say it .... Please consider a rescue or shelter dog They need you as much as you need them.
Like Alsee, I'm sorry for your loss but I have no advice on breeders for people who buy while healthy dogs die. There are breed specific rescue groups and many "purebred" dogs in shelters but you apparently know their documentation papers aren't released.

This is nonsense. First, rescue groups have very few, if any, puppies available. We (I'm very involved in rescue) have little info available on the history and background of the dogs since they often are picked up as strays. We wish we knew their "stories". The exceptions are dogs relinquished by owners, which make up a small percentage of rescues.

We did participate in placing some of 149 purebred collies seized from a hoarding situation...I adopted one myself. Since they pretty much bred themselves, we couldn't provide info on pedigree.

There are not a huge number of purebred collies in shelters; in all of 2014 and 2013, not a single one in Albuquerque. We did have a few in El Paso and Las Cruces, although they were not purebred.

There are still about 20 dogs available from the hoarding situation if anyone is interested. They are Smooth Collies with short hair.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

ITA w/ some of the others. There's an unfortunate stigma against shelter and rescue dogs as being, in lack of other words, "tainted", "dirty", "sick", etc. A majority of which are not. Plenty of great dogs in shelters for a vast majority of reasons. You'd be surprised how many litters are in rescues.

Petfinder.com is a great resource and you can search for your breed.

Honored Contributor

Respected Contributor

On 2/2/2015 CaitlinH said:

ITA w/ some of the others. There's an unfortunate stigma against shelter and rescue dogs as being, in lack of other words, "tainted", "dirty", "sick", etc. A majority of which are not. Plenty of great dogs in shelters for a vast majority of reasons. You'd be surprised how many litters are in rescues.

Petfinder.com is a great resource and you can search for your breed.

Yes, many people don't know that not infrequently newborn puppies are brought to a shelter or seized by animal control with a rescue group or county humane society working in concert with them. Sometimes the mother is brought in with them but not always. The mom and her pups are put in a foster home where they get individualized care until they are old enough or well enough to be placed for adoption. To the OP, golden retreivers, like other larger dogs are known to have large litters. In my experience, breeders sometimes surrender puppies to shelters or rescue groups when they couldn't sell them to individuals or pet stores. OP, you said you didn't want to hear from us, so I am sorry. I think I understand why some people prefer buying a dog from a breeder and that's their choice.
Trusted Contributor

Ccassday... I am sorry about the loss of your Golden Retriever Jake. We had golden retrievers and my last one was also named Jake. They are the best dogs! I still miss my Jake. You can try to google breeders in your area or as suggested try petfinder too. Pet shows are a good place to ask around for breeders too. You are right...your vet could probably help too. Good luck on your search. I hope you post pics when you get your new pup!
Honored Contributor

Please go to your local shelter and adopt a dog. They need your help!

"Pure Michigan"
Contributor

So sorry about your loss - always devastating as our dear pets are family members. We have 3 Goldens who are half-sisters (all same dada). I have a several friends who are golden breeders. They belong to the local Golden Retriever Club which is affiliated w/national club. It is vital that any breeder provide you w/health clearances for both parents as well as pedigree which will help give you a picture of life expectancy through generations. A reputable breeder will almost always have a waiting list for puppies and is careful to do background checks on potential families and require meeting them to assess best puppy personality for placement. Despite all the above there is no guarantee your pup will not develop cancer. Goldens are unfortunately prone to the disease and when you get a puppy you might be interested in having it be part of the Morris Animal Foundation lifetime Golden Study. Best of luck.
Esteemed Contributor

I would start with your Vet; we got all of our Boxers through our Vet. I would try the American Kennel Association or as mentioned your local Retriever Club.
Honored Contributor

I would go to a dog show and talk with the responsible breeder/handlers you'll find there.

That's how I found my second wire fox terrier.

Respected Contributor

ccassaday-I am so sorry about Jake. I've never been a real dog person, but we have 2 dogs that are such a part of our lives. Both are technically our daughter's, but when she went to college & then got married, they were still with us. Also, her horse & my sister's donkey, but that's another story. It's so hard to think of loosing them. I think vet's are a good place to start so that you can find a local owner. You got some good advice from several posters.