Re: Finding a good dog breeder for a golden

We are scheduled to meet our new golden girl tomorrow. We are adopting a dog from Yankee Golden Retriever Rescue in Massachusetts. This will be our second rescue and our first golden girl was perfectly healthy and we loved her for years before she crossed the rainbow bridge last September. There are Golden Retriever and other breed rescue organizations all over the U.S. While it may be sad to lose your companion dog....there is nothing to match the joy and love these animals give to their adopted families. We thought about a puppy but there are so many wonderful dogs who need a home. Please consider a rescue golden....there are young dogs who need a home as well as seniors.
Respected Contributor

It's so nice to see all the posts about adopting. Our local shelter just adopted out a litter of yellow labs (not all to one family!). The misconception that you get a sub standard dog from a shelter/rescue or a ""better"" dog from a breeder is absurd. My friend paid 2 grand for a 14 week Bernese Mountain dog that had never been outside. Never touched grass. She felt she ""rescued"" him from his ""breeder"". My boss bought a German Shepard from a woman who desperately needed the $ to pay her rent. My friend's pure breed show dog got cancer and died. Good luck on your search.
Valued Contributor

Ccassaday-- Try contacting the Golden Retreiver Club Of Greater Toledo. (My tablet is not copy/pasting today. Sorry.) Google will bring them up. That may be the nearest group to you. They can connect you to regional rescue organizations or breeders.
Valued Contributor

Adopting a pet from a shelter is a very personal decision. It is up to each pet owner to make that decision for themselves. Don't bully this poor person into feeling guilty if she doesn't adopt a stray.

We have adopted many cats from cat rescue and have very happy results so I am not against it, but to each his own.

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

We have tried on two separate occasions to adopt dogs from local shelters. On the first try we were all set to adopt the dog even though he was suffering from kennel cough. We could deal with that but the fosters lied to us about the health of the dog. My husband saw the Vet's report that the dog was in poor health even though the foster told us he was fine. In our second try we were turned down during the home visit by a shelter volunteer because she found dish washing soap under our sink. I don't think a twelve pound dog could open the cabinet door. She also told us our yard was inappropriate even though it's a half-acre fenced yard. We gave up and purchased a puppy through a breeder.
Esteemed Contributor

On 2/3/2015 Cookie06 said:

Adopting a pet from a shelter is a very personal decision. It is up to each pet owner to make that decision for themselves. Don't bully this poor person into feeling guilty if she doesn't adopt a stray.

We have adopted many cats from cat rescue and have very happy results so I am not against it, but to each his own.

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Not all dogs in need of a home are strays, there are other options. Rescues often take owner surrenders for a variety of reasons. Many rescues also foster in homes with kids, cats and other dogs. With a little work you can know what you are getting.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Occasional Contributor

It seems like you are getting a bit of a verbal beating about not wanting a rescue dog. We raised a yellow lab rescue who came with his own quirks and we were able to give him a much better life than he had. On the other hand, we have had goldens for over 20 years. They are the best around children and just people in general. We have found ours through word of mouth including but not only your vet. The golden who joined our family last was the result of hours on the internet and the phone. I don't think there is any one answer except to keep talking to people who have contacts with golden owners and keep looking online. Wherever you find one you will love having another one in your lives.

Contributor

Lynn, I totally understand. I lost a rescue Golden to cancer also. Then I found an absolutely fantastic, ethical and professional breeder in Michigan who lives to breed nothing but healthy, robust Goldens. She is fantastic. There is usually a waiting list, but please take the time to check her out. Google "Asoro's Goldens" to find Ilene's website, then you can email her.

I was on a waitlist for my Murphy and he is worth every day I waited. He's now over two years old and is just fantastic, and Ilene keeps in touch with all of her older pups on Facebook and is available if there are any problems or concerns for life.

I don't know where you live, but many people outside of Michigan purchase her pups because of her reputation. It is stellar!

And just for the information of others, I have had many, many rescue dogs throughout my life. Then I fell in love with the Golden Retriever breed. It is not a crime!

Respected Contributor

I am soooo disappointed in many of you who are chastizing this poster because she prefers a specific breed of dog. Pure bred dogs deserve a loving, safe home too. If this poster wants to give that to a Golden Retriever, God bless her. The dog she sees with her heart is a Golden.

I've had about 20 dogs during my lifetime - everything from a boxer to a Miniature Pincher. All were given to me, or found lost because we lived about a mile through the woods from a major highway rest stop. My beautiful Springer Spaniel and my devoted Sheltie were both given tome by my vet, who says in his next life he wants to be my dog. But none were ever more loving or grateful than the mixed breeds. All have been special & equally loved. I only wish I could bring home all the little guys from the pounds and give them the love they deserve.

Yes, we've run into some unethical puppy mills. I've spent years working with a no-kill shelter that allows even the "worst cases" to come there and live out their lives in safety, with full tummies, lush fields for running and warm beds to rest in at night. We have dogs (and cats) that are blind, lame, or otherwise handicapped. All are welcome and receive excellent care. After Katrina we had hundreds of dogs, and numbers of cats that had been deserted, lost or dumped. The last puppy mill we "busted" had almost 100 dogs of eight or ten different breeds. Not all have been placed yet, but we are still trying. And we check out every adoptive home before the pups go there.

There are some wonderful animals in shelters, as well as in rescue groups around the country. And if you are so inclined, please go there today and choose a new friend. But if your heart years for just the right dog, that counts too. And I pray that some lucky Golden Retriever will soon be the best buddy of the OP's family.

Contributor

On 2/3/2015 Perkup said:

I am soooo disappointed in many of you who are chastizing this poster because she prefers a specific breed of dog. Pure bred dogs deserve a loving, safe home too. If this poster wants to give that to a Golden Retriever, God bless her. The dog she sees with her heart is a Golden.

I've had about 20 dogs during my lifetime - everything from a boxer to a Miniature Pincher. All were given to me, or found lost because we lived about a mile through the woods from a major highway rest stop. My beautiful Springer Spaniel and my devoted Sheltie were both given tome by my vet, who says in his next life he wants to be my dog. But none were ever more loving or grateful than the mixed breeds. All have been special & equally loved. I only wish I could bring home all the little guys from the pounds and give them the love they deserve.

Yes, we've run into some unethical puppy mills. I've spent years working with a no-kill shelter that allows even the "worst cases" to come there and live out their lives in safety, with full tummies, lush fields for running and warm beds to rest in at night. We have dogs (and cats) that are blind, lame, or otherwise handicapped. All are welcome and receive excellent care. After Katrina we had hundreds of dogs, and numbers of cats that had been deserted, lost or dumped. The last puppy mill we "busted" had almost 100 dogs of eight or ten different breeds. Not all have been placed yet, but we are still trying. And we check out every adoptive home before the pups go there.

There are some wonderful animals in shelters, as well as in rescue groups around the country. And if you are so inclined, please go there today and choose a new friend. But if your heart years for just the right dog, that counts too. And I pray that some lucky Golden Retriever will soon be the best buddy of the OP's family.

Well said, Perkup! Bless you, from another dog lover! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}