Esteemed Contributor

Finding a good dog breeder for a golden

Ok pet lovers i need some help. As you remember a few weeks agowe lost our belovedjake to cancer. He brought so much to our family we are ready for another golden. Maybe some of you can help me on how to go about finding a responsible breeder. We are searching internet and stuff. I read that sometimes your vet can help. I think we have done enough research to know what to look for. Maybe some of you have some more ideas. And before anyone says it we are not looking into a rescue or the shelter. Its just not for us.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Finding a good dog breeder for a golden

Sorry i put this in the wrong forum.
Respected Contributor

Sorry for your loss.
Trusted Contributor

I'm very sorry for your loss - I know how difficult it is. Please forgive me but I have to say it .... Please consider a rescue or shelter dog They need you as much as you need them.
Respected Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss. You may want to find someone who breeds/handles show dogs. A Breeder of Merit will have the best interest of the breed at heart and should have responsible practices. Good luck.

Respected Contributor

On 2/2/2015 Alsee said: I'm very sorry for your loss - I know how difficult it is. Please forgive me but I have to say it .... Please consider a rescue or shelter dog They need you as much as you need them.
Like Alsee, I'm sorry for your loss but I have no advice on breeders for people who buy while healthy dogs die. There are breed specific rescue groups and many "purebred" dogs in shelters but you apparently know their documentation papers aren't released.
Respected Contributor

""It's just not for us"". What the he!/ does that mean?
Esteemed Contributor

The reason it is not for us is we just lost a dog to cancer. My mom looked into rescues but a lot of them have health or other issues. We arent going to deal with that when ours just died of cancer. We would however not hesitate if a golden showed up at our shelter and was a puppy.
Honored Contributor

Contact a golden rescue group as they may have puppies also. I have always adopted rescues and none had health issues or other issues,

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My suggestion would be to go to a dog show and talk to people. Not just the exhibitors but other people who are watching goldens in their events. I bought a collie pup from a breeder who is sort of a poster child for ethical breeders, in 2005. I was involved in collie rescue and asked some of the members whose judgement I trusted what they thought of her. They were lavish in their praise. He's been a great dog and is still going strong.

This breeder has litters only when she knows she has buyers for her pups. She canceled a fall 2014 litter because, due to a large seizure, there were too many rescue collies available. At least one pup from each litter goes to be some sort of service dog. She's a teacher and has several non-show dogs she's trained as therapy dogs. She breeds each female only once, and at the most has only one litter a year. Some years, like 2014, she has none. She breeds only to improve the quality of the breed and loses money on every litter due to all the health checks the pups and mom must have.

The info I've provided ought to give you an idea of questions you might ask a breeder. In the case of goldens, I'd also ask about a history of cancer in the pedigree.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment