Respected Contributor

Easter baskets for gandchildren?

I usually make up an Easter basket for my granddaughters. The problem is, between their parents, their other grandparents, my mom and two aunts they end up with several baskets and way too much candy and too many trinkets. They are only one and four years old so they really aren't expecting so much. I was wondering what you do for your grandchildren(if anything) at Easter? I don't  really want to give candy as it's not good for them and they already have too many stuffed animals, dolls and toys!👯‍♀️🐰🐣

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

Re: Easter baskets for gandchildren?

How about an Easter card promising a 'fun day with Grandma'? A tea party would be fun for little girls, I think.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Seems like that is too much sweetness. If I lived nearby, I'd get a craft kit and ask them to help me make some decorations. I've seen cute rock painting ideas to make the rocks look like bunnies or eggs. Even making homemade peanut butter cups is a no bake alternative. My kids would much rather get involved with doing something with an aunt or grandma rather than getting another toy or tons of candy. Leave the Easter Bunny bring that stuff!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What about the old crayons and coloring books or just books of their interest?  Never was big on Easter.  My kids (when younger) got one basket with a little candy and more little trinkets.  Kids get way toooo much these days.  

Edited to add puzzles or those little pots with seeds to plant their own flower so they can watch it grow and see what they did.

Esteemed Contributor

After the bunnies are put away and the candy eaten..........spend a day with them - at the zoo - animal farm - movie and lunch out - shopping for new slippers/shoes - whatever you have available and want to do.

NO more Easter gifts......suggestion only

Respected Contributor

How about an Easter cross, angel, or bracelet to remember the sacredness of the day?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have 9 granddaughters from ages 7 months to 17, pso I have put together a lot of Easter baskets.
I order online all year and some places add makeup or other beauty samples to your order. I put those in Easter gift bags for my teenaged granddaughters as well as a pair of flip flops as it is getting warmer. I also add one small chocolate Easter bunny and a few dollars in plastic eggs. Sometimes I add a charm for their bracelets or a pair of earrings. Some years I have added Philosophy bath gel. Depends on what I find on sale during the year. 

For my little preschool granddaughters, I always add a pair of sandals, a stuffed bunny or lamb that seems unique to what they already have, and some small cans of play-dough. Sometimes a jar of bubbles that we can take outside after dinner and entertain them with. This year we have a 7 month old and a two year old, so they will definitely get a small stuffed bunny or lamb. Russell-Stover makes small bags of mini bunnies...tiny chocolate bunnies that the preschoolers can have when their moms give them only 2-3 at a time. Baby may get a gauzy blanket for summer. I don't always give all of these but these are ideas. No jelly beans because they are so hard on the teeth and I just find them awful. Lol.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

My daughter is a shopping genius. . . last year she suggested I buy the grand kids exercise balls for Easter.  They came in bright colors, each had it's own air pump, needle and kids from 18-2 had a blast with them outside.  Granted my front yard is pretty big, and last Easter the weather was absolutely beautiful, but it was almost as much fun watching/filming as playing with those balls.  I don't think i can top them this year, but I'm watching this post for suggestions. . . 

Regular Contributor

I have 6 grandchildren and hide plastic eggs for an Easter egg hunt.  Inside eggs are small trinkets, some coins, or a few M&M's.  They love the hunt, and love opening their treasures just as much.

My grandparents had 16 grandchildren and back then the hunt was with real eggs strewn around their farm.  Fond memory that I wanted to give to mine.

Respected Contributor

What about coloring Easter eggs?