Valued Contributor

Re: Easter baskets for gandchildren?

I try to get more toys and books and just a little candy for the 4 and 6 year old. My other grandkids are 12, 14 and 16 and they like candy and gift cards or money.

Respected Contributor

I never gave my 4 grandchildren Easter baskets....I didn't want to step into Easter Bunny's territory...that was their parents' fun to have.

We had them all over for Easter dinner and they helped me make bunny bread from frozen dough and a bunny cake.  When they got a bit older we would get $20 worth of quarters, put them in plastic eggs, and make up a container (like a sandpail) for each, and hide the containers in the back yard.  There would be a silver dollar in one egg in each container.  That way each child got $6.    They still wanted to do it through high school...so we did lol!

Honored Contributor

As much as I love to spoil & indulge my grands, Christmas about 2 years I said no more, it's crazy.    I don't do anything for Easter or Halloween, I let the parents.   It's hard, I have to really control myself.    When they get older (they are 7 & under)  I may get them something for Easter more meaningful than candy & bunnies.

Or maybe you could buy them a piggy bank and give them coins.   They will remember you for giving them coins & if they keep them, they will have a little nest egg.   They will look forward to special occasions & their next coin.

Esteemed Contributor

@Diva on The Q wrote:

What about coloring Easter eggs?

I was going to suggest that @Diva on The Q .  I also think it would be nice to have them join in in the meal preparation, table setting, etc. as their get older.  Imho they would learn working together, what's involved in the special meal preparation which would give them a genuine appeciation of the holiday.

Also making a special time to go to nursing homes and bring something special that they've made or just to visit and learn to appreciate and sharetheir abundance.

Respected Contributor

How about attending church with the family and brunch after.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Valued Contributor

I usually just buy them a lttle bit of candy and some spring/summer outfits and some summer toys for outside.

Trusted Contributor

Maybe since the other family members have done baskets and sweets, you could get each girl an Easter dress.  Then, Easter morning or a few days before ,you could deliver them to them in person (if they're local or by mail earlier on) and let them know that they are geting a special delivery from you.

Esteemed Contributor

I do Easter baskets also......i give some candy (not much)

and usually about 5 small gifts/toys and usually a gift card.

Respected Contributor

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions! Unfortunately, I already do quite a few of them with my granddaughters.  They live an hour away from me but I go there twice a week and spend time with them. We go to lunch, museums, parks, movies, etc.. I have several craft kits so we also do them. My ds will color eggs with them and their other grandparents live close by and they go to church and brunch every Sunday. They'll go to the Easter egg hunt at church.They come to my house for Easter dinner. I've already given each a little lamb that says prayers and each a cross bracelet for their first Easter. They have more books and stuffed animals than they know what to do with! I got each of them a matching plaid dress and a pink cardigan with a bunny sewn in the pocket(both Carter's). I did see some cute personalized baskets at Personal Creations. I think I may get them each one and call it a day! Thanks again and Have a happy Easter with your families!🐰👯‍♀️🐣🙏

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

@lork your daughter's great suggestion made me think of a neighbor who bought the kids kites and they flew them out at grandma's farm.