Respected Contributor

Dry/Comfort Nursing by males?

[ Edited ]

I just read where more dads and even brothers are comfort nursing their children and siblings. Apparently, it's the latest thing and thought to be totally acceptable.They cited a tribe of Pygmies in the Congo who have always done it this way. I find it uncomfortable and disturbing. Not that  it's evil but I would not have wanted my husband or sons to do this with our children or their siblings.

Just wondering what others think of this?🤔

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dry/Comfort Nursing by males?

Wait........WHAT???!!???  Not on my watch!!

Honored Contributor

Sounds a bit incestuous to me

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

I also find it disturbing.

Honored Contributor

Pygmies and other indigenous 'tribes' have many cultural traditions (like huge plates in their lips, etc.) that I would not follow, including this one.

I've never heard of this and I read a lot, so I have to wonder how this is truly "the latest thing".

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Super Contributor

I fing this disturbing, at the very least.  I don't care what the purpose of this is, no male should be "comforting" any baby in this way.  Creepy, incestuous, self-gratifying comes to mind.  I am thinking we are doomed as a civilization.  

Honored Contributor

I find it repulsive.

Esteemed Contributor

Care to cite the new study of the increase?  Not in any news I read.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well when we got a kitten about 18 years ago, she proceeded to search out our adult male cat that would be stretched out on the couch on his side and she would nurse from him. Of course there was no milk but I guess it soothed her and our adult cat was so good natured that he let her. Yes, we were very surprised at this, but the adult male was a very sweet and easy going cat.   Edited to add, I have never heard of this with humans.

Respected Contributor

I read it on FB. A man posted that, when he was a child(8 years old), he had done it for his baby sister, to keep her from crying, when his mother wasn't home. I said that his mother should have invested in a pacifier. I said I didn't  think it was right. Well, most of the posters made it like I was totally wrong and one said, I was looking for Evil. I said it most certainly crossed my moral boundaries and that I thought it was sick. Someone cited about the Pygmies.  I Googled it and found it has been on Twitter with a video of a dad doing it and articles saying what great fathers the Pygmies are, along with other articles about dads doing it. 

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who thinks this is unacceptable.  I know I come from a different generation, I'm  66. I try and stay current but some of the things that young people do nowadays are just beyond acceptance for me. That is barring a plane crash in the Andes!🏔 or having to move to the Congo!🏞

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran