Esteemed Contributor

Re: Drug use rampant at colleges

@Kachina624 wrote:

@mimi5775.  I completely understand and share your grief.  I lost my son, also my only child, June 10, 2006, to the effects of alcohol abuse.  Kids know illegal drugs can kill them but think alcohol is relatively safe.  Not!  It slowly destroys the organs in the body.  In his case they closed down and he collapsed and died in the front yard while bringing in the mail on a hot summer morning.

Now almost 13 years later, there isn't a day when I don't think about him, a night when he's not in my dreams.  I'm reminded of some chore that needs to be done around the house, think, " I'll get Robert to do it", then am brought up short when I remember that he's gone.  I lost him, my parents, my 3 best friends and my favorite dog in a 3 year period.  It was rough.

It gets a little better with time but the pain and emptiness in your heart never completely goes away.  I wish I'd had more children but with an alcoholic husband, couldn't take the chance on having more alcoholic children.  Moral. Of my story:  Be careful of whom you choose to be your spouse.  Its the most important decision you'll ever make.

I hope you get through your son's anniversary.  Find something to do that day which would honor him and something he would have enjoyed doing with you.

So sorry for your loss!!!!!!..my boys have been involved in alcohol abuse...drugs too...it never ends! Woman Sad

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Respected Contributor

Really?  Drug use rampart at colleges?  I can't believe this is a news flash to anyone.  This started in the 1960's!  By now, it's not only students, but professors, teaching assistants, probably administrators who use some drug recreationally.  If dorms were searched for drugs there would be very few rooms that didn't have some sort of drug and, yes, I am counting pot.  Even though pot is legal in some states, it has been tested and it does affect the brain, not in a good way.  Colleges and universities gave in to the hippies' and far left groups' demands in the '60's;  now drugs are as common as beer once was on campi (campuses).

BTW, I remember that era quite well because I am of that generation, but did not agree with what fellow students demanded. 

Trusted Contributor

As much as it costs to go to school and these kids are wasting their folks money using drugs instead of being worried about getting a degree.  Humans think at that age nothing can touch them.  Ignorant beyond belief.  Like the bunch of college students who went to Florida during this Covid-19 outbreak.  They just have no sense.  They might have sense but it must be in their as-es.  What a bunch of idiots.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jinlei wrote:

As much as it costs to go to school and these kids are wasting their folks money using drugs instead of being worried about getting a degree.  Humans think at that age nothing can touch them.  Ignorant beyond belief.  Like the bunch of college students who went to Florida during this Covid-19 outbreak.  They just have no sense.  They might have sense but it must be in their as-es.  What a bunch of idiots.

Drug use at colleges goes back many, many decades.  A lot of people who are grandparents now had first-hand experience when they were in college.  It's nothing new.

Honored Contributor

We have one big "party school"  (I went there) Land grant university, famous for it's engineering school and  fraternity Row.  (According to the Princeton Review...they list party schools) ) Yes, it's a party school (for those majoring outside of Engineering)l.  I had a great time there though. Huge school.  Over 40,000 students and a sprawling campus.  Drugs were there plenty and more alcohol. Some took to drugs and some not. I didn't, but stuff like that happens everywhere.  My current school is smaller, but everyone knows where drugs are.   We had drugs in high school.  It's everywhere.   Schools do what they can, but the larger schools have more drugs.

Respected Contributor

I would have hoped drug use would have faded away after the tragic death of Phillip Seymour Hoffman a few years ago.  Surely these college students were bright enough to get into college - they must be smart enough to know the dangers of drug use.  My niece luckily stays away from that crowd.   But it is scary that administrators are not only turning a blind eye to the drug problem but also encouraging it.

Respected Contributor

@Reever wrote:

I would have hoped drug use would have faded away after the tragic death of Phillip Seymour Hoffman a few years ago.  Surely these college students were bright enough to get into college - they must be smart enough to know the dangers of drug use.  My niece luckily stays away from that crowd.   But it is scary that administrators are not only turning a blind eye to the drug problem but also encouraging it.

How are they doing that? 

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky