Honored Contributor

Re: Drug use rampant at colleges

@Reever wrote:
I do worry about illicit marijuana use in my nieces dorm. Apparently the school turns a blind eye to it. I was told to "mind my own business" by my sister in law on the matter. Apparently some members of our family don't think marijuana use is something to be concerned of. My niece has seen other girls taking pills also. Its a scary world indeed. I told her to keep her nose out of it and focus on her school obligations since the administators are turning a blind eye to it.

@Reever.  Has your niece turned 18?

Respected Contributor

My niece is 19. What does age have to do with? No tolerance for illicit drugs whether consumed by a 15 year old or an 85 year old.
Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:
My niece is 19. What does age have to do with? No tolerance for illicit drugs whether consumed by a 15 year old or an 85 year old.

@Reever.  She is an adult. She is in charge of her own life.

Honored Contributor

I think you gave her excellent advice, @Reever.  Maybe at some point she'll address her concerns with administration.  Substance abuse of any kind, including alcohol as well as other drugs, should never be minimized.  Some colleges have tried to have candid conversations about this, as they do about other social hazards, like sexual assault.  Discussion and transparency are first steps.

Honored Contributor

Serioisly, what is new here?  I think it is common knowledge if you want drugs, as a high school or college kid.  It is also a fact that not all college students take drugs.  But know about them or be around them?  Yes!  It is also sad that college students drinking is not healthy at all.  Kids, and most young adults think they are invinceable .  They are not going to die, suffer from alcoholism or drug addiction.  That stuff happens to other people....not them. Such is YOUTS, sad..but true. Eventually they grown up, and most wise up as well..

Trusted Contributor

@Jtdmum wrote:

Reever- Drugs are everywhere.  Unfortunately they're not just stupid recreational drugs.  They're deadly now.  The obituaries in our local area are loaded with young kids overdosing and dying. 

What's more frightening is some are first time users.  What the dealers are putting in what they're selling would kill an elephant. One of my very dearest friends spent thousands on rehab for her daughter who never gave her trouble until after High School, one of the girls who works for me has a son who is constantly in and out of rehab.  These are hard working good people who cared for their kids - (not making any judgement here..please don't misunderstand) 

It's frightening.  They have no idea what they're taking and it's killing them.  Having a callous attitude towards this epidemic by passing it off as having always been done is dangerous.   You are lucky you have a child who is concerned and hopefully staying away from this stuff. 

@Jtdmum  My son is in a grave not even a year...fentanyl in a drug he took. And he was doing so good. That &^%$*(& drug is the killer now it's in recreational cocaine and people don't know it. All walks of life rich poor anyone. They have to beware it is deadly..even a wee sniff sent our cuisines a policeman to the hospital a month no one knew what happened it was in a home he breathed it in during a search in a home.

I wish it was me who left the world that afternoon not my son. I am in a bad place emotionally when we lose our only child it is he **

God help all kids, young adults all of us!

I didn't read many comments but having a hard night and needed a mom to mom site. Staying off Facebook only there to honor my son who tried very hard in his life - it upsets me too much seeing everyone living their lives and grandchildren marriages and all...I wish them well but it's too hard, I'm just missing his sweet hugs and love and coming over I was a mom - an acting mother.

Many use drugs to cover up secondary diagnosis of depression, anxiety or bilopar diagnosis.

I am tearing up. GTG but just had to say my 2 cents - there's no need to reply.

It's hard out there for many young people.

I liked your post. TY

My son went to Heaven 4/15/2018
I love and miss him so very much. God Bless you my dear Nicky
Trusted Contributor

@mimi5775 My heart bleeds for you.  I cannot say how sorry I am.  It's not just the drugs and their path of destruction, the heartbreak and broken families it leaves behind is incredulous. 

Take deep breaths, think of sunshine and pray that forgiveness comes to you and mends your heart.  Know and understand there is an angel on your shoulder watching you guiding you in everything you do. It brings warmth to your soul and you can feel their presence. 

I hope you participate in a group dealing with loss or find a counselor that can help.  You will feel better and understand that there are people out there who genuinely care and understand.  

Please find balance and peace.  The world needs what you have to give;  a mother who loves and cares for her children, here or not.  Nohting in this world can replace or buy that, and there is not enough of it out there.  If it were, there would not be any dealers on the streets, this issue would go away. . 

You can do this, if not for yourself, do it for your son as you know he would want you to find peace. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mimi5775  - I knew the year was coming up which is why I asked how you were doing in the other thread.   I can't say anything better than what @Jtdmum posted, but I just want you to know you and your son are in my thoughts and prayers.  Please hang in there.  Hugs......

Respected Contributor

I'm heartbroken as well reading Mar5775s reply. Tragic when a parent has to bury a child. I am sending warmth and support to you. Please remember those who pass are always with you, travelling beside.
Honored Contributor

So very sorry, @mimi5775, for your first hand pain and grief caused by these horrific, deadly drugs.  Prayers for your suffering, and the loss of your beloved son, and wishing you some peace.