Esteemed Contributor

Re: Drug use rampant at colleges

Not going to say I was Miss Priss. Of course, I tried it pot; meh. Hated beer; preferred a mixed drink. Was always the one who brought her own bottle and mix to a beer party. At least I shared with others who didn't care for beer, either. Smiley Wink 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

I started college in 1972 and drugs were all around then too.  I think it appears more rampant because we hear about it on the news and in social media all the time.  

Trusted Contributor

Really? I went to a private university and illicit drugs were common and that was decades ago.  My children (now in their late 30s and 40s went to universities with rampant drug use. I think this is unfortunately “normal”. Whether they take the drugs is a whole other issue. My children did not however. I did for a short while at university in my stupid youth. My kids didn’t want to be like me so they stayed clean. Heh, I was actually a lesson to my children.

God is good!

Regular Contributor

@LUVNLIFE wrote:

Drug use is rampant everywhere. It's a shame that this addiction controls most of the crime rate in this country.

Pleae cite some real data to verify your allegation.

Regular Contributor

@Reever wrote:
Just horrible Black Hole that all the power has been taken away from parents who are footing the bill. A parent has every right to check in on their child's progress. Many years ago grades were posted on professors doors why the secrecy today? In fact the entire social security number was posted as a student ID !! I wish we could return to the 1960s when the world made more sense. Drug use wasn't an issue and people could afford to live on a middle class wage.

OMG, are you serious???

Esteemed Contributor

@Reever  Haven't you heard of Timothy Leary?  The 60's weren't drug free.

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

@Reever  Haven't you heard of Timothy Leary?  The 60's weren't drug free.

@Snoopp.  I guess she forgot. Woodstock, Haight Ashbury, etc. Maybe she tuned out.

Honored Contributor

It's true that the appeal of mood-altering substances can be enhanced at college, where some students are away from home for the first time, 'fitting in' with peers, facing new challenges, trying to establish an identity, dealing with depression, etc.  Colleges have traditionally been somewhat uncomfortable acknowledging and effectively dealing with this age-old problem.

Add in the newer, sometimes deadly challenges of the opioid crisis, and you have a situation that needs to be addressed forthrightly.  Minimizing, or mocking those with concerns, I believe adds to the problem.  @Reever, good for your neice-- it's never easy to be the one calling for action or change in the face of complacency.  Scheduling a meeting with administration is a first step and great idea. 

It's not "snitching" to acknowledge problems and share concerns.  Names don't have to come into it at all.  I hope your neice finds a way to share and be received respectfully for her concerns.

Esteemed Contributor

If a parent   is footing the bill they have every right to see the grades. If the kid won’t show them then they also have the right to quit paying. College is expensive. I remember my sister getting engaged with 1.5 years left of school. They built a house while she finished and they got married a week after she graduated. My parents told her if she was going to live with her fiancé when she was on breaks they would quit paying. Luckily they didn’t want to so it was never a hhuge issue.

One  of the huge things on campuses is kids are getting pills like Xanax from strangers and they are being laced with other drugs making it deadly. Parents need to tell their kids if they need something like that to get it from the doctor.

Respected Contributor

I do worry about illicit marijuana use in my nieces dorm. Apparently the school turns a blind eye to it. I was told to "mind my own business" by my sister in law on the matter. Apparently some members of our family don't think marijuana use is something to be concerned of. My niece has seen other girls taking pills also. Its a scary world indeed. I told her to keep her nose out of it and focus on her school obligations since the administators are turning a blind eye to it.