Super Contributor
I gave my daughter a boundary over her boyfriend. My daughter 26 was seeing a man almost double her age( this was 2 years ago). I told her if she continues to see him she needs a place of her own. The man she was seeing is an alcoholic, divorced and he is narcissistic. He at first was spoiling her, then he would start ignoring her, yelling at her and then started to borrow money from her. My daughter started to drive at age 22. She would always be driving him around. I found out she was driving him to bars so he could drink. I told her she can’t be driving my car to take him around. I am responsible. My daughters attitude was worse. We definitely had problem’s before because she was entitled. That was our fault because we gave in. My daughter would compare us to her friends families. She even told me she is jealous of her friends large families. She told everyone that she helped raise her little brother and it was unfair to her. She did help me with him. She helped with his homework, and once a week took him out to dinner/shopping so my husband and I could get out or get some things done. My daughter didn’t work and went to school part time. She didn’t do any other chores except every 2 weeks fold clothes. I appreciate that she did help. She resents us for that and many other things. My daughter started after meeting this man threw us away. She didn’t want to do anything with us and she didn’t even want to talk to us. Her little brother was diagnosed with autism a year ago. He was devastated that she didn’t even say hi to him when she got home. She was like a stranger. That is when I told her she needed to leave if she continued to see him. She did go and before I told her to go she told me she wanted to experience living on her own but didn’t have the money. I didn’t think asking her to go would cause her to never forgiving us. She told me that we hurt her so bad she can’t forgive us. We tried talking to her and my husband her dad told her if she is depressed over this come back home. That was a year ago. She told me I smothered her, was controlling and I only pretended to care. My heart broke.
We devoted everything to her. Not only financially but emotionally. She didn’t drive until 22 so we took her everywhere she wanted. We took her on her favorite vacations, devoted every weekend to her. She does have ocd, depression and misophonia. Yes I tried to get her help. My daughter is a great friend to others, she’s smart, beautiful and caring to others. I don’t understand why she treats us differently.

She demanded I give her my car so she could get to work. I did end up giving her my car. I helped her move in her new place and bought her supplies and a tv. I always told her we are always here for you. She treats this man like gold, she lends him thousands and he slow pays. She will do anything for him. He told her that he is never going to commit to her. She comes around every month or so for a quick visit. She will never want to be with us for more than a couple hours. When she does visit she is like a stranger having a conversation. Her brother is so upset that she doesn’t spend any time with him like going anywhere with him. I want to fix this but she gets defensive and starts making excuses and blames us. I started to see a therapist. I am depressed over this. She has wonderful friends and they are always with their families. I told her I am sorry if I hurt her. We love her, we miss her. Like I said before growing up she definitely had issues. It wasn’t just hormones. How do I fix this.
Honored Contributor

Re: Deep regret over daughter

[ Edited ]

First of all, you are not going to "fix" this situation.  Your daughter is well on her way to learning several big lessons in life.  She's made her bed let her lie in it.  

I personally would stop giving her money, step back, get prepared to be totally shunned, and since she thinks she's got this, let her figure it out.  

Respected Contributor

leave her be

stop enabling

get a puppy 

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Super Contributor

I agree. I can’t fix this. I don’t give her any money. That stopped when she moved out. I only give her a Christmas and birthday gift. We take her to dinner on occasion. I will have a hard time going on vacation without her. Not that I want her to come because there was always drama. It’s the mom guilt.
Valued Contributor

I have a similar situation. I am currently experiencing no contact with my daughter.  I say let her be. You can't beg someone to love you back. I am just putting this in the hands of a higher being. If mine doesn't ever speak to me again I can honestly say I tried my best. I have to try to be happy in the years I have left on this earth, otherwise I will end up with the breakdown that won't be fair to other family members. I can say however, I'm less stressed by simply letting the stress go instead of trying to change other people's minds or behaviors.  If others really want to make things right and care about you they will at the least meet you half way to a resolution. Sometimes we spoil our kids and not even realize it.  

Respected Contributor

I totally agree with @RedTop. I would ask her one more time to see a therapist. If she declines I would walk away from her and not give her a thing. She either thinks you did something terrible to her ( that is why she needs to talk to a therapist) or she is an extremely selfish human being. She has a lot to learn.

Super Contributor

I agree. She probably expects to be invited if and when we go on vacation. We are not invited her. I will have a guilty conscience and I don’t know why. We did spoil her and never thought it would backfire. I told my husband that we can’t make her love us or want to be with us. She told me last year she was going to take me shopping for my birthday that never happened. I am definitely shocked. She acts like the victim all the time.
Respected Contributor

I gave my daughter a boundary over her boyfriend.

My daughter 26 was seeing a man almost double her age( this was 2 years ago). I told her if she continues to see him she needs a place of her own. The man she was seeing is an alcoholic, divorced and he is narcissistic. He at first was spoiling her, then he would start ignoring her, yelling at her and then started to borrow money from her.

My daughter started to drive at age 22. She would always be driving him around. I found out she was driving him to bars so he could drink. I told her she can’t be driving my car to take him around. I am responsible. My daughters attitude was worse.

We definitely had problem’s before because she was entitled. That was our fault because we gave in. My daughter would compare us to her friends families. She even told me she is jealous of her friends large families. She told everyone that she helped raise her little brother and it was unfair to her. She did help me with him. She helped with his homework, and once a week took him out to dinner/shopping so my husband and I could get out or get some things done.

My daughter didn’t work and went to school part time. She didn’t do any other chores except every 2 weeks fold clothes. I appreciate that she did help. She resents us for that and many other things.

My daughter started after meeting this man threw us away. She didn’t want to do anything with us and she didn’t even want to talk to us. Her little brother was diagnosed with autism a year ago. He was devastated that she didn’t even say hi to him when she got home. She was like a stranger.

That is when I told her she needed to leave if she continued to see him. She did go and before I told her to go she told me she wanted to experience living on her own but didn’t have the money. I didn’t think asking her to go would cause her to never forgiving us. She told me that we hurt her so bad she can’t forgive us.

We tried talking to her and my husband her dad told her if she is depressed over this come back home. That was a year ago.

She told me I smothered her, was controlling and I only pretended to care. My heart broke.

We devoted everything to her. Not only financially but emotionally. She didn’t drive until 22 so we took her everywhere she wanted. We took her on her favorite vacations, devoted every weekend to her.

She does have ocd, depression and misophonia. Yes I tried to get her help. My daughter is a great friend to others, she’s smart, beautiful and caring to others. I don’t understand why she treats us differently.

She demanded I give her my car so she could get to work. I did end up giving her my car. I helped her move in her new place and bought her supplies and a tv. I always told her we are always here for you. She treats this man like gold, she lends him thousands and he slow pays. She will do anything for him. He told her that he is never going to commit to her.

She comes around every month or so for a quick visit. She will never want to be with us for more than a couple hours. When she does visit she is like a stranger having a conversation. Her brother is so upset that she doesn’t spend any time with him like going anywhere with him.

I want to fix this but she gets defensive and starts making excuses and blames us. I started to see a therapist. I am depressed over this. She has wonderful friends and they are always with their families. I told her I am sorry if I hurt her. We love her, we miss her. Like I said before growing up she definitely had issues. It wasn’t just hormones. How do I fix this.

Super Contributor

I have asked her a few times to go to therapy. She doesn’t even take her prescribed medication. She would yell at me when I used to ask her if she took her medication.
Esteemed Contributor

@Beautiful life , I am so sorry you are going through this.

Your daughter seems to have mastered the fine art of manipulation and knowing how to guilt you.  You have done everything you can as a mother; she is an adult and it is ok for you to step back and let her be an adult.  All you can do is offer guidance if she wants it. 

I think most of us with adult chidren sometimes wish we could still steer them in a different direction or want them to follow our advice but alas, they are adults.

As far as how to fix it, I have no idea other than to say to give in to her demands won't do it.  Hopefully your therapist will be able to give you some good direction.