Valued Contributor

Re: Decluttering greeting cards...I need help or intervention, please! 😅

@PamfromCT wrote:

@Growing, That’s an interesting question you asked.  I do admire people who are still growing,  but part of growth could be to accept that others are different from you.  My attitude is that people should do what personally makes them happy, as long as they are not hurting anyone or anything.  

People save things like cards as tangible remembrances of love, I think.  I also think the world needs a lot more love, however people privately and publicly express it.  You are entitled to your beliefs, but I am curious to know why people who save remembrances and are sentimental bother you so much.

Very jugemental and mean reply. If you are happy doing things your way, then no need to write something that gaslights me. Social media brings out the mean in many people as you have shown. 

Trusted Contributor

I don't see what's wrong with saving them! If you have the space, that is. I have many cards from loved ones who are gone now and I treasure their words. And of course all the sweet things the grand kids  say to me in a card. I vote to keep them!!! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Starpolisher   When I receive cards with the family photos (sometimes a cute pet included), I keep the most recent ones. I have photos of the GDs and kids that I keep. 

Trusted Contributor

I have many cards that I keep because I enjoy reading them. I have several letters and cards from former students. They were written to me years ago, and I treasure each misspelled word and sweet thought.  I have some my dad wrote to my mother when he was stationed in Fiji during WWII...I can't toss those.  My mother had the most beautiful handwriting...a lost art these days. I treasure her cards with that handwriting.  Periodically I go through my boxes of cards and will toss a few. Scanning them isn't the same to me. I want to hold them, open them, and read them. 

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't just throw those cards away.

I'm almost positive that someone in your area would love to use those cards in some way.

Some people cut out gift tags from the front of the card, etc.

Also, I recall running across someone who made postal cards from the front of the various holiday cards.  Only, she said that you must use a regular stamp on the regular sized cards.

The post office website has the measurements of postal cards. 

The smaller dimension cards can be stamped with lower priced postage stamps. 'postcard stamps'.

Anyway, if you have some sort of free give-away website in your area, I would post a 'Free Christmas cards' post and see who might be interested.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Marie Kondo says, "if it brings you joy, you get to keep it".  Let your kids pitch them down the road.  In fact, Make a scrapbook of them, what fun!!!

Honored Contributor

I don't keep that stuff, but I guess I did the few Ch cards from 2019. I'm so happy about that though.  That was the year, of my sister's last Ch card.  2020 she was too sick with cancer and lost her in 2021.  I will treasure that one card, that means so much to me. Someone else someday, can pitch it, I won't.  @Carmie   I did learn how to let go of other things, after having to tend to my folk's home and belongings.  It does teach you a lot.

Valued Contributor

I have "respect" for all the family cards I have saved..

After having a gift business for years..I will never throw them away..My kids will just toss them in a dumpster one day.

I bought a medium sized covered tote about 9'x12 inches..I put dividers in and labeled them.."from Grandchildren","from Children", "from Siblings"and so on.

Valued Contributor

What worked for me was to make piles for each person who gave me cards or in some cases I did more generic piles ---high school people all in 1 pile & college in another. Each family member got a pile. That way I could readily see how much I had from each person. Recycling those from my school days was easy, family members were harder --but when I saw a pile of 50 cards from 1 person it made it easy to pick out the super special ones & be ok letting the rest go. Seeing a pile with only 2 or 3 from a special family member who passed made it easy to keep knowing I only had a few to begin with. Do what works best for you!

I'll have the task of either helping or "prodding " a family member to start this process sometime this year hopefully. I'm going to suggest my method for them.
Respected Contributor

I have one box that I keep my special cards in. It is almost full. They are my favorites. I can sit and look at them whenever I want. Some make me laugh and some make me cry.  I treasure the memories they hold. Do what makes you  happy.