Esteemed Contributor

Re: Decluttering greeting cards...I need help or intervention, please! 😅

I have taken pictures of special cards. both in and outside,  They are on my iPad, computer  and iPhone.  I have done the same with girls prom dress and old old pictures.  Easy to look at whenever I want.  My grands are always asking for pictures of their parents,  I just Emailed a pic of DD at the winter that her daughter wanted to see.   They are with me always.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner @Starpolisher  Clearing out my mom's home after she passed, I spent an entire day dealing with old greeting cards and letters. After doing so, I decided I would never leave that task for someone when I'm gone. I purged, too.

The fact is, that the cards only have value for the person who received them. I didn't even know who some of the people were who sent my mom cards. There were still pics inside of some of them leaving me to question, who are these people?

I now subscribe to Sooner's philosophy regarding such sentiments. Our memories are far more meaningful than clutter. In fact, studies show uncluttering can be good for our mind. It's a freeing thing.  

Esteemed Contributor

I am in the slow process of going through all the greeting cards I saved over so many years.  To me, there is something special about a card with a personal message from someone you love who has passed.  And some of the cards and notes from our children and grandchildren are priceless.

Instead of keeping them all, or ditching them all, I intend to keep a small number each person that is particularly meaningful.  It’s a long process but important to me.

Respected Contributor

Haven't read the replies yet but one idea - take pics or scan them and upload them onto one of those digital photo frames that shuffles through the images. That way you can enjoy them more than if they're just sitting in boxes and can recycle the actual cards.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Starpolisher I'm right there with you! I have them mostly in one box, that also has my greeting cards to send. They are from my SO of many years, my best friend and others. Although, now I have in another shoe box, the tons of cards from mom, who passed in 2020. and got me special cards, with sweet words I love to read when I come across one...like a message from beyond at timely moments to me. Those I'm keeping forever. I also have a box of typed letters she wrote to me when I was away at college. Bittersweet, am keeping but not sure I can read them again....as we waited days to see if she'd make it in the hospital, during Covid, not being able to visit...we read those letters out loud, cried and laughed.

So....I'm sentimental to the hilt and keeping them ALL. So many beautiful cards that mean a lot to me from special people, long notes inside. I have gone through a lot and culled those that I could let go of but the rest I'm keeping.

What to do as time goes forward...is a whole other question. I once told my best friend...we need to stop sending cards because I can't keep anymore and I never throw yours out! Lol...that didn't work...and....I'm glad. She still sends beautiful cards.

One day, at her house, out on the deck, we sat, drank tea, and went through her "Amy box" together....trying to recall when/what time of life it was, reminiscing together...it was fun.

SEE....I was no help. I'm sorry. 🤷‍♀️

I have an elderly friend in Virginia, I've known since she babysat me when she was in her 20's, and was our neighbor then. Bless her, I love that she still writes beautiful handwritten cards and letters to me. What a joy to get something other than junk mail! She tells me (she's 89) "I have saved all my cards, to read someday when I'm old"...I guess that day hasn't come yet for her.

Honored Contributor

I have the cards from DH on anniversaries and Valentine's Day.  

I have cards from our sons when they were very little and when they came with special gifts and had paragraphs written in them.

If you love them and look at them, by all means keep your cards.  You as much as said they are priceless to you.  It doesn't matter whom ever keeps what.  They are your dearest treasures.

Honored Contributor

@meallen616 wrote:

@Starpolisher,

I could have easily written your post. My thoughts are the same as you. 

I look at the cards and say, now, it's time to let go of these, but,I can't, and,I put them right back where they were!

Good Luck to both of us!

@meallen616 

There is no time.  If you love them keep them and enjoy them.  Your cards are no different than anyone else's cherished ring, picture.....whatever.

Honored Contributor

I just want to add too that I really liked reading all my mother's cards. I liked seeing what others said to her and how much they loved her.

I loved reading her letters and her accomplishments.

Cards can reflect a lot of a wonderful life and all that was lived.Of course it was most special reading them together with her.

I think it would be kind of sad not to have anything left that others gave and said.

I know some of my children are very sentimental and also save cards and have told me to save so much of the family history.

I have gone through basements of stuff though and it is now just one case and my cards in a small box.

I have given my children's early drawings, most of them, to them if they wanted them.

So it doesn't have to be all or nothing

all the time and whatever still comforts us or gives us joy even if we rarely look at them, knowing they are there, that is a gift still given.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I too feel bad about discarding greeting cards.  In fact, I'd rather people didn't send them - a phone call, text, or email does the job.  But they persist, to Hallmark's relief.  Smiley Happy 

Respected Contributor

I was never one to hold on to cards and other ephemera like kids schoolwork or baby clothes.  I did keep greeting cards when I was first married but we moved every few years and I wanted to lighten the load.  I never missed these items.