Trusted Contributor
There is another Dawn with Oil of Olay. I soak my finger nails to soften cuticles.
Honored Contributor

Be careful regarding cats. They 'bathe' (lick) themselves, whereas the other pets/animals usually don't. I'd be afraid to bathe my cat with Dawn and other brands. Just using it to dispose the fleas off of the flea comb seems fine, as long as we wipe the flea comb dry every single time/stroke.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor
On 6/22/2014 ROMARY said:

Be careful regarding cats. They 'bathe' (lick) themselves, whereas the other pets/animals usually don't. I'd be afraid to bathe my cat with Dawn and other brands. Just using it to dispose the fleas off of the flea comb seems fine, as long as we wipe the flea comb dry every single time/stroke.

So true Romary, cats should never be bathed in anything not made specifically for felines.Smiley Happy

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Super Contributor
On 6/22/2014 hattrick said:
On 6/21/2014 PalmTree11 said:
On 6/20/2014 steiny3844 said:

Using dawn to shampoo pets seems to kill fleas. Who knew!

I just read about this, but didn't know it was exclusive to blue Dawn. From what understood, the dawn creates a film on the top of the water that essentially drowns the fleas. I'm going to pick up some blue Dawn because even though my furbabies are treated with preventative, I found a couple fleas on my walking buddy last night Smiley Sad

We have 4 of the furry beasts. Last year, they ALL came down with a case of fleas, it was horrible. We paid so much money to have them professionally groomed and it still did nothing.

I had read on the internet to try Dawn and it worked miraculously! Just a tip....start at the neck of the dog and work your way down. If the fleas sense the Dawn, they will jump into the dogs ears and nose to survive.

My DH usually holds the dogs and I will literally take the bottle of Dawn and pour it onto the neck of the dog while my DH rubs it in.

Let me tell you, this works wonders! We plan on giving the dogs a Dawn bath once a month!

My neighbor and I were talking this morning and her dog was itching like crazy. Fleas are terrible where we live. Her dog was laying in the dirt and was going to bathe her anyway so I suggested she use the blue Dawn. Next time I'm out I'll pick some up to use on u dogs. I have Dawn, but it's the green apple. Does anyone know why it's the blue that kills fleas?

Super Contributor
On 6/22/2014 emmiesmom said:
On 6/21/2014 Daysdee said:

I've read on this board a few years ago that a Dawn (the blue one) is good for removing stains from clothing. Wonder if anyone has used it on their dogs? Mine gets smelly a day or two after shampoo (or after groomer) and has a bad odor and greasy coat.

If it works for the ducks, I'd say its ok..might want to dilute it a bit~

When we used it on ducks, it was very diluted. That's one reason why it's better than the "knock offs", it's strong so you only need a tiny bit. Please, do not use it on an animal in the same quantity as you would use shampoo on yourself (and absolutely not in those insane Wen "you need about fifty squirts" quantities).

Contributor

Yeah well johnsons baby shampoo is pretty harsh!! If it works it works. Its only soap

Super Contributor

Had to report back. I live in an area where the fleas are awful. They are so bad they are becoming resistant to topical treatments. After finding some fleas on my pom this afternoon I thought, what the heck, give it a try... I didn't have the blue Dawn, only the green apple, but IT WORKED!!! It killed the fleas and then I had to pick them out (gross). I have a feeling on a pet with less coarse fur the fleas may just dislodge. Good riddance fleas!

Honored Contributor

Blue Dawn for drains: do you let it set and then run a lot of water through the drain? Hot or cold water? Thanks.

Frequent Contributor

Adelle 38 only use the blue kind none of the others.

Honored Contributor
On 6/22/2014 emmiesmom said:

One more thing. Did you notice your dishwasher leaving dishes cloudy?? I found out the dishwashing gels, powders etc were changed a couple of years ago. I think it was the phosphates, any way, it doesn't cleanse as well. It wasn't my dishwasher!!..so I have been adding a small amount of dawn to the dishwashing gel, etc. Seems to be working~

Oh, thank you! Ours is having cloudy issues and I will try this!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~