Honored Contributor

I have a beautiful long haired black cat and the fleas where I live are ferocious this summer. My cat goes out side and we live in the woods so you can imagine what a problem this is. I read somewhere about using the blue Dawn for fleas, it's supposed to kill the fleas and the larva, it does. I'm not saying that my cat doesn't get reinfested, but the Dawn baths keep the fleas under control and my cats skin and fur is healthy. My hat is off to the nursing home nurse, that is a rough job and I'm glad we have people who will do it.

Trusted Contributor
I love cats.
Trusted Contributor
I love Dawn, all varieties.
Esteemed Contributor
On 6/27/2014 whitedogs said:

Sneef, I want to thank you for your kind suggestion. I am an elderly lady in her 80s and I used Dawn yesterday. I can attest that I am still alive and well today and my hair is fine. You are a very thoughtful person and most of us appreciate your help. Pay no attention to Marlea and others like her. Nasty know-it-alls should Google before they speak. The other tips that came in were also great. My pipes (house pipes that is) and my dishwasher will be better off for your thread. We have been using Dawn as a shampoo on our multiple dogs for years during flea season.

Not exactly on this topic but mean never-the-less are those hurtful remarks that show up about seniors in "frumpy" clothes and shoes on this forum. If those people are very lucky, they will be granny shoppers some day. If they are not lucky, congratulations to the rest of us. Keep smiling Sneef. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Love this post! My mother used to say..there's always a fly in the ointment! I keep track of these negative nellies and have them on ignore! I thank you sneef..you gave me some new ideas for Dawn!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor
On 7/18/2014 lilmopeep said:

I actually brought my Dawn with me to my hair salon to be used on my hair. It is fantastic for ALL scalp issues.

Boy there are some whack jobs out here with their criticisms!

It's not as if you suggested using engine degreaser on a nursing home resident! Now THAT would be cause for alarm!

DAWN ROCKS! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Great post, I think you ROCK! lol!

-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor
On 7/18/2014 sneef said:

I wanted to let you know of another use for Dawn Dish soap the blue original one, a coworker has been going to a dermatologist with severe acne I had mentioned to her about Dawn so she asked her MD, he told her to give it a try because she is at the end of her rope to clear her skin, within 2 weeks her face and body acne is almost gone. Her MD was thrilled with her results and now is going to recommend it to other patients. She says her face hasn't felt this fantastic it is soft, free of acne, and non drying.

Thats good news, I'm sure your coworker is elated!

-- Mae West
Contributor
When I was sailing, we used Dawn to wash our hair in sea water. It worked, but I really appreciated a fresh water shower when we got back.
Frequent Contributor

When we got our black lab puppy two years ago, the breeder had, in her office, a bottle of blue Dawn soap. We've had three labs before this, and four german shepherds, but, when she was going over daily care and tips with us she said not to spend money on flea shampoos. (There were four full-grown labs who were absolutely soft and shiny laying around the office).

She went on, that she NEVER uses anything but Dawn soap on any of her dogs. We went home and lathered up our yellow lab, and the little critters came crawling out of his coat. He was getting flea/tick treatment every month and going in the pool multiple times a day. I let it stay on for a few minutes, and it killed the little buggers, and when I rinsed him, they went down the drain. When I toweled him off, there were more dead fleas on the towel.

Our black female has never had a bath with anything but Dawn soap. She is two and is so shiny and we've not seen any fleas on her, only a few coming to the top of the suds when we bathe her.

We now have a new little yellow lab who is 12 weeks old and she was bathed in Dawn last week. She came out sparkly, like a new penny.

Since learning about this, I use Dawn mixed with Mane and Tail on my horses' bodies and they have beautiful coats. (we have a dapple grey, a tri-colored paint, a white/chestnut paint, and a dark bay). I use WEN on their manes and tails and it keeps them silky. My TWH mare's taile is white and chestnut and touches the ground. If I didn't use WEN on her, I would be spending hours getting through the wind knots.

Esteemed Contributor
On 7/31/2014 HORSINGMOM said:

When we got our black lab puppy two years ago, the breeder had, in her office, a bottle of blue Dawn soap. We've had three labs before this, and four german shepherds, but, when she was going over daily care and tips with us she said not to spend money on flea shampoos. (There were four full-grown labs who were absolutely soft and shiny laying around the office).

She went on, that she NEVER uses anything but Dawn soap on any of her dogs. We went home and lathered up our yellow lab, and the little critters came crawling out of his coat. He was getting flea/tick treatment every month and going in the pool multiple times a day. I let it stay on for a few minutes, and it killed the little buggers, and when I rinsed him, they went down the drain. When I toweled him off, there were more dead fleas on the towel.

Our black female has never had a bath with anything but Dawn soap. She is two and is so shiny and we've not seen any fleas on her, only a few coming to the top of the suds when we bathe her.

We now have a new little yellow lab who is 12 weeks old and she was bathed in Dawn last week. She came out sparkly, like a new penny.

Since learning about this, I use Dawn mixed with Mane and Tail on my horses' bodies and they have beautiful coats. (we have a dapple grey, a tri-colored paint, a white/chestnut paint, and a dark bay). I use WEN on their manes and tails and it keeps them silky. My TWH mare's taile is white and chestnut and touches the ground. If I didn't use WEN on her, I would be spending hours getting through the wind knots.

YOU are an angel! If I was a horse or a dog, I would want YOU for my mother, lol. I have a little min pin that can't use the flea meds..she got very sick, she's so tiny! I have Dawn and she will have her next bath with it. Like that you use Wen on their manes and tails, how sweet! Thanks for posting, you made my day!!{#emotions_dlg.wub} I have been using it for other things too with great results. Its a money saver too! I only paid $1 for my bottle at Walmart! Btw, it sounds like you have a heavenly life with your beautiful horses and Labs!

-- Mae West
Regular Contributor

When I was a student nurse, my psychiatric rotation was in a state mental hospital--the only thing that we had to use for patients' shampoo was green soap--which contains alcohol, and is lousy for hair. Nevertheless, the patients who wanted cleaner hair used it. Dawn seems much kinder, to me. I have used it on small kittens, and they all lived to adulthood.