Respected Contributor

my only concern is that I'm old enough to remember when the hospitals used Physophex on newborns heads until they discovered it caused brain damage. I would be hesitant to use anything on an elderly person's head that can change permanent hair dye. I'm not saying it hasn't been recommended by doctors, I just would be a little hesitant.

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Contributor
I also have used Dawn original scent for fleas on my elderly
cat . I have sensitive skin & it used it I my my scalp
as clarifying in between coloring .
It probably has less chemicals than some expensive
shampoos . Check out the ingredients of shampoos, scary all the chemicals in shampoos, even sulfate free.
Honored Contributor

Re: Dawn Dish soap

[ Edited ]

@sneef wrote:

If anyone suffers from scaly, crusty scalp. I am a nurse at a nursing home and we have found the Dawn that is blue the one they show in a commercial that shows them cleaning birds that are effected by oil spills. Our residents hair is shampoo between 1 or 2 times and all the scaly, crusty issues disappear. It is amazing and gentle on there hair. Just thought I would share this info so if you know of people with this issue it may help them.

I hope you have patients' and families' permission.  I'd be pretty ticked if Dawn was used on my mom without first talking to Dad or me.  Scalps can be pretty sensitive in the elderly and Dawn is a harsh product.  There are products on the market that address this scalp problem.

That said, I use Dawn for all kinds of things.  Mix with vinegar and it's a great weed killer.  Mix with lemon juice and it'll make your tub sparkle.  etc etc.

Esteemed Contributor

There is a reason that dawn is used for dishes. I would not use this product on nursing home residents. JMHO.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@sneef wrote:

If anyone suffers from scaly, crusty scalp. I am a nurse at a nursing home and we have found the Dawn that is blue the one they show in a commercial that shows them cleaning birds that are effected by oil spills. Our residents hair is shampoo between 1 or 2 times and all the scaly, crusty issues disappear. It is amazing and gentle on there hair. Just thought I would share this info so if you know of people with this issue it may help them.

I hope you have patients' and families' permission.  I'd be pretty ticked if Dawn was used on my mom without first talking to Dad or me.  Scalps can be pretty sensitive in the elderly and Dawn is a harsh product.  There are products on the market that address this scalp problem.

That said, I use Dawn for all kinds of things.  Mix with vinegar and it's a great weed killer.  Mix with lemon juice and it'll make your tub sparkle.  etc etc.

Another reason Dawn should not be used on hair.

Respected Contributor

I use Dawn on my horse.  He's black and white.  The white parts are very sensitive but I want him clean so during the summer he gets a lot of baths.    

I use baby shampoo on most of his body.  But for his legs, that are always stained from grass and dirt, I use Dawn.  I lather it and leave it on for at least 10 minutes.  Then use a soft rubber brush and rinse.  Smiley Very Happy

Regular Contributor

Amen Birkenbaby!  I think this was put out into this forum "for information only".  She didn't say that everyone in the world has to subscribe to using Dawn as shampoo.  It never ceases to amaze me that a lot of people just want their 15 seconds of fame and to get their opinion out there.  Just wish they would take a moment to think through their responses.  No one said this was a cureall for anything, it just happened to help this one patient.  Everyone has the right to pick and choose what they will and will not use in their personal hygiene...geesh.  Chill out people.  And, just because someone posts something that they are relating they had experience with does not mean that we all have to subscribe to that practice.

Respected Contributor

@Texussgal wrote:

Amen Birkenbaby!  I think this was put out into this forum "for information only".  She didn't say that everyone in the world has to subscribe to using Dawn as shampoo.  It never ceases to amaze me that a lot of people just want their 15 seconds of fame and to get their opinion out there.  Just wish they would take a moment to think through their responses.  No one said this was a cureall for anything, it just happened to help this one patient.  Everyone has the right to pick and choose what they will and will not use in their personal hygiene...geesh.  Chill out people.  And, just because someone posts something that they are relating they had experience with does not mean that we all have to subscribe to that practice.

Silly @Texussgal, now you're using logic.  Tsk, tsk.  Smiley Wink

Regular Contributor

Sorry sweetie, sometimes my logic and common sense just kick in without me really trying to use them.  It just seemed pragmatic to me that this post wasn't intended for the entire world to use, just an attempt to be informative.  Nope, it was probably not for everyone.  Each one needs to weigh the pros and cons for oneself!!  LOL  Hugs.........

Valued Contributor

Re: Dawn Dish soap

[ Edited ]

On Youtube a hairdresser mentioned she used a little bit of Dawn for "chelating" the scalp. After using it, she suggested to cut a lemon and use some of the juice on your scalp.  Then follow up with a good conditioner.  I tried it and it helps to cut all the junk you use out of your hair and it leaves it soft and shiny. You don't do this every time you shampoo,: only once in a while.

I actually think Dawn is very gentle.