Valued Contributor

Re: Dave Ramsey's Envelope System

I would be insulted, regardless of how much someone complains, UNLESS they have come specifically for advice, I would not offer. And it could be that he was not really "short on funds" I have a friend who makes great money, has a nice condo, car, what not. When we invite her to go to dinner or something she generally will say NO, I am a little short this month, BUT in reality, she is short BY CHOICE. SHe puts away in savings more than your average person, and thus better off than most who think she is "always short" I would be embarrassed to learn that I thought someone like that needed MY help. Unless, specifically told, NEVER assume everything is as you think it is. it may come back to bite you.

Valued Contributor

On 9/24/2014 deb5555 said:

I just use plain envelopes, no additional costs!

YEP< he does have some good ideas, but mostly I think he has made his money SELLING his info to others, Most of his advice is just pretty much common sense. Just keeping track of what I make compared to what I spend/save does the trick for me. NOT KNOCKING IT AT ALL> I do relize some need that support , or jump start, like a "formal" weight loss group telling you what to eat instead of researching on your own. Or those that can excercise in the gym but not at home. Different strokes for different folks.

Valued Contributor

I have used the drive-up envelopes from the bank for years. This system works so well....you put cash into each envelope that has been marked for what you want to use it for....groceries, stamps etc....

You physically see your cash and what you have left or don't have left. So easy! Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

I am so glad you brought this topic up. How does the system work? What do you do with envelopes? DO you set aside money for each week and when its gone its gone and then put bills in envelopes for when they are due? Thank you.

Esteemed Contributor

What makes it so easy is anyone can do it no matter how much you make.I love having the cash for Christmas and not worrying where I was getting the money.ten dollars a month or so and by Christmas shopping time I have more then enough.
Esteemed Contributor

Never mind
Valued Contributor

If someone was not really commited, they would just swap out money from envelope to envelope until nothing was left. Any system you choose will only work if you are dedicated to it.

Trusted Contributor

On 9/26/2014 ssssgirl said:

If someone was not really commited, they would just swap out money from envelope to envelope until nothing was left. Any system you choose will only work if you are dedicated to it.

I agree. My mother used an envelope system 50 years ago. There's no need to buy a fancy "system".

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Super Contributor

So I guess I can look up on line dave ramsey and the envelope system?

Respected Contributor

On 9/27/2014 RibbonsRosesRainbows said:

So I guess I can look up on line dave ramsey and the envelope system?

Yes. And I don't represent them.