Respected Contributor

Christmas coming "early" this year?

I noticed Christmas stuff at our Dollar General on the same week as Halloween. Then, yesterday, as I walked into the grocery store, I saw a Christmas wreath on the window above the door.

I know, us over sixty gals are maybe living in the past, but...I remember when the official start of the Christmas holiday season was the day after Thanksgiving. Now, it seems it's right after Halloween or even simultaneously with it.

So, like, did the CALENDAR change this year and is Christmas coming early? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Honored Contributor

Re: Christmas coming ""early"" this year?

I think it's been like that for a number of years. The day after Halloween, all the Halloween stuff has magically disappeared and been replaced by Christmas food, decor, etc. I wish it wasn't so. But why waste a good marketing opportunity... {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Respected Contributor

Back years and years ago, stores waited until after Thanksgiving before bringing on the Christmas. Like, decades ago -- it has not been that way since, when?, the 70s?

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Contributor

One of the local radio stations in my area started playing Christmas music the night BEFORE Halloween, no joke. My sister called to tell me & we had a good laugh over that. I love Christmas music but not before Halloween.

Honored Contributor

I don't really remember when the push started, but it's been decades. It doesn't bother me one way or the other because I don't pay attention much at all.

While you're thinking about holidays - anyone else remember when decorating for Halloween meant a pumpkin or two on the front steps and not much else?

Why do retailers make the push? I'd say because it works. Most of my friends are grandparents and I'd say more than half of them already have completed the bulk of their Christmas shopping,

Respected Contributor

I'm 62 - I used to start my shopping the day after Thanksgiving. We didn't even call it Black Friday then. Maybe the retailers did. Now I always hope to be done with my shopping by then. Christmas marketing gets earlier every year. I don't really mind it - it gets me in the spirit. But after Halloween is early enough!

Super Contributor

We've had Christmas stuff out since before Halloween! Halloween candy on one side of the isle and a section of the other with Christmas stuff. I'm only in my 30s and I remember the Christmas stuff coming out around thanksgiving when I was growing up. Every year it's earlier and earlier :-( I don't know why people cannot enjoy today instead of rushing next week. It's not just retailers. I see people with Christmas decorations up on their house and even Christmas trees up in their house! I understand a lot of its nostalgia but part of the ""magic of the season"" was that it was so short. So everything was extra special. Egg nog in the grocery store used to pop up after thanksgiving. Once the weather got colder you'd start looking for it until one day it was there! Now it's been out since September. Or like peeps those used to be an Easter candy. I remember my sister looking every time we went to the store until they popped up and we knew spring was coming. Now they have peeps for all holidays. I suppose it makes people happy. Me? I will be enjoying autumn while it lasts
Honored Contributor

The best answer would be push Thanksgiving back two weeks. Back in the dark ages, many women did not work outside the home. I learned years ago if we were to have Christmas, it had to be tree up Thanksgiving week or we simply didn't have time to do it, much less enjoy it.

Gift giving got out of hand, too much to buy, too much to cook, too much to decorate. Families live farther apart, so there is travel and shipping to deal with. If you don't start early, you are out of luck for having a traditional Christmas today.

And, the 70s were a LONG LONG LONG time ago. The world goes on! When was the last time you had a sleigh ride or chopped a tree in the forest and strung it with popcorn as nostalgic cards suggest either? LOL!!!